• Creator
    Topic

J Dragon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Dragon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 315hp

Noticed a very slight weep tonight at bottom of turbo. Have 10 hours on the SMX Envirovent and nothing is in the puke bottle yet (dry). 200 hours on the turbo. Plenty of spillover height. 13 quarts in the pan. By appearances it seems to be the plug at the bottom of the turbo.Ā Iā€™ve also read the scroll/collar where the clip is will normally weep some oil over time, but I didnā€™t see an obvious trail to where the oil is collecting. So is the 1ā€-ish plug with the 1/8 npt insert at turbo bottom (pic attached, 1 with oil, 1 wiped clean) accessing an area that could leak oil? If so, can I remove, coat with rectorseal and reseat without draining the block of coolant? I thought that was a coolant portā€¦ If itā€™s impossible that plug is the source, Iā€™ll study the area more closely to see if itā€™s the oil drain line fitting etc (didnā€™t look like it). Thanks! Pic quality was best I could do upside down in tight quarters Tony. And yes my engine paint looks great from above I promise but not the upside down parts hahaĀ šŸ˜Ž Ā 

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

J Dragon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Dragon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 315hp

Thanks Rob will do

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes, that is a coolant port, not oil.Ā  It’s trickling down.Ā  Check the oil supply (top) and drain (bottom) at center shaft housing.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.