• Creator
    Topic

Marvin Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Reel Struggles
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA, 330

Good evening. I have a fairly new set of 6Bta 330’s that have the seaboard CCV kit on them. I removed the air filter on the starboard engine today and there was a fair amount of oil in the turbo. There is also a soot/oil stain on the exterior of the exhaust side of the turbo/. See pics. Is this common with the CCV kits????? If not, should I be worried and what could be causing this? Engines run fine but after idling a while (such as after trolling etc…) I do get a pretty good puff of black smoke on throttle up. Any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Marvin Lewis
    Participant

Rob

My apologies, these are rebuilds. I’ll take some good pics this weekend and post them. I’ll also change the oil as suggested.

Thanks

Marvin

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

75 engine hours and puke bottles 2/3rds full ?? …. this is a “new” engine (not rebuild), right? …… something is not right. Need some really good pic of the complete CCV install. Also, completely drain the oil and refill per this article: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/oil-pan-capacities-for-cummins-marine-engines/

Could the starboard air filter be clogged/damaged/wet?

Adequate engine room ventilation is important or the engine may have no choice but to get it’s intake air through the CCV system rather than the engine room air space. Just to confirm: Only the starboard engine is an issue, port turbo is clean and the puke bottle is empty, or close to empty?

Marvin Lewis
    Participant

Thanks for the response.

The engines have approx 75 hours on them. I did not open and view the turbos when new but I would assume (yeah I know that’s bad) they were spic and span then. This is the first time I have looked internally at them since engines installed.

Yes, puke bottle was two thirds full yesterday. I emptied it yesterday as well. It is installed via the oil fill cap as the synchronizers are installed on timing cover. They are installed per y’alls directions, dont have a pic right now (not at boat).

I believe engines have 13 quarts of oil in them.

Yes, the CCV kits were on these engines from day one.

Interesting question about engine room ventilation. my guess would be it could be better. How would this affect the turbo getting oil in it? I can run the blower next time I run it to see if that helps.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

How many engines hours from when the turbos were spic & span clean until this?
    Can you post some pics of your CCV install? and overall of the engine install.
    Are you getting an oil in the puke bottle?
    How many quarts are you running in the oil pan?
    Was this engine always equipped with the Envirovent CCV, since day one?
    Could engine room ventilation be inadequate?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.