• Creator
    Topic

Peter McKibbin
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Focus
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 250

Just completed a 2,000 Nm trip from Malaysia to East Java and had a barely noticeable RPM surge on the starboard engine 3 times over 10 hours.

RPMs were app. 1200 with EGT around 600 F and everything else seemed okay on instruments, there was an audible rpm increase for a second or so which I did not see on the SMX digital displays, this also occurred the previous day except I only noticed it twice over 10 hours. Gauges on fuel filters were in the green, fuel lines are 1/2″ and fuel was the same batch used over the previous week. Engine controls are Glendinning on their own N2K network which have worked flawlessly for the entire trip.

This may have occurred previously without being noticed while running on both engines however the Port engine had sheared its shaft at the coupling a few days prior and was not running while the boat limped into a place that could haul it out.

Could the surge be indicative of a governor/fuel pump issue that should be attended to while the boat is hauled out for repairs or any other ideas?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Peter McKibbin
    Participant

Many thanks, Tony, will give the two stroke oil a try until I can find a shop familiar with these pumps.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

This is what you have (CAV distributor pump) ….. This particular fuel system started 0ut as a CPL 953,  and after numerous issues, over 2-3 yrs,  they redid something inside the injection  pump and changed the CPL to 1247.. Cured most but not all of the idle stability/ surging issues.. I believe that it was related to the lower lubricity issues that the newer diesel fuels be pushed by the EPA had.. And now with very low sulfur fuels, the issue may resurface

Not sure, but I do not believe their is a sure fix for this, but should you decide to “go for it” by pulling the pump for a rebuild, but sure the shop you pick has a long term history with dealing with this pump. Maybe a qt of 2-stroke engine oil, properly mixed with 75-100 gallons of #2 could help (300+-ish  ratio)??

Peter McKibbin
    Participant

Forgot to add, that CPL numbers are 1247

Peter McKibbin
    Participant

Injection Pump and Engine Serial Numbers

Engine serial numbers are 44548566 and 44558483

Attached is a photo of the engine after it was removed showing what I think is a CAV pump, will be back at the boat in the new year if model and serial numbers are required.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

6BTA 250

Lets ID the exact model 6BTA 250 engine and fuel injection pump model

Engine serial number ?

Good picture of the injection pump

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.