• Creator
    Topic

J Dragon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Dragon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 315hp

On the 315 with the denso pump it appears the inlet and return fittings are 1/2” npt — before I order new fittings can someone confirm that’s correct? Bumping up from 3/8 to 1/2 lines.

thanks !

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

pwrobert
    Participant

Everything I use is Push-Lock hose fittings for hoses I make myself.  Sometimes I add a Stainless Steel PEX squeeze on clamp for good measure.  I’m not sure they are “required” for good quality marine fuel hoses but make me feel better.  they are required I understand in car racing.

Off the subject, but when I was chasing down air bubbles in my fuel lines Tony suggested I use clear hose segments between suspected components for visibly being able to determine where they were coming from.   I found that the addition of sealer and a PEX clamp was need to eliminate false positive air leaks around the clear hose fittings.  Clear vinyl hose is not as spongy and needs the extra sealing.

Regular shose clamps are always knucle bustes to me when used in places here there are a lot of hoses going back and forth like around the on engine fuel filter, lift pump, and fuel pump and just snag and skin up my hands and wrists.  If you must use clamps I like the solidn non-perforated AWAB type.  But to each his own.

For Fittings on the fuel hoses in the fuel pump/filter area Cummins uses ORFS fittings and I chose to stay with those when I made up my replacements.  They are avaliable in Push-Lock as well.

Here is one shot of the hoses on the fuel hoses to the Statboard SMX filters and part of the additional plumbing for my Fuel polishing system, the Generator fuel filters and tank selection valving and the engine/transmission oil pump-out system.  Most now have PEX clamps and there are only a few traditional hose clamps left- mostly very small.

But I ran the boat for many years without the addition of clamps on Push-Lock fittings but always on regular barbed fittings.  Just my preference now.  Some regular fuel hose from auto store – even name brand is fairly thin walled and I especially like the PEX clamps when useing that hose.  Thicker Marine hose like Trident brand is really good stuff IMO.

1 user thanked author for this post.

J Dragon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Dragon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 315hp

Thanks. Surely NPT I hope, not straight thread 

Is there benefit to push on barbs versus regular hose barbs? <br /><br />

thx

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Cummins was totally inconsistent with  those lift pumps/series of  Nippon engines… You just need to figure it out by comparing to a known thread size.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.