• Creator
    Topic

Roger bing
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bingo
    Engines: 330 b series

I have a pair of 330mhp, 5.9’s and did impellers for the first time today.. Needless to say, that “fuel maze” piping creates a total disaster when trying to get the impeller out and install a new one. In addition, my motors were rebuilds when installed and the aeroquip ends were never wrapped with the wax tape so they are pretty well rusted. Im estimating new hoses (despite them being short) will be a couple hundred bucks a motor. So I am contemplating removing the fuel cooler and “maze” hoses completely. My question is will this influence performance of the motor? I understand fuel is cooled on the return side so odds are the heat will be dispersed throughout the tank. Will I give up horsepower? Or am I better off just tolerating fighting with hoses every other year to replace impellers?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Justin Riege

Fuel Cooler Removal Video

In case you havent seen this. Brenden did a great job of explaining the process step by step.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Dump your fuel cooler & all related plumbing– You can thank us later…………

Tony

Roger bing
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bingo
    Engines: 330 b series

i have two tanks (one per motor) at 160 gallons. they are under the cockpit floor aft of the engines. the longest run would be around 5-6 hours to the canyon when full, trolling and coming back. so motors could be running for 18hrs straight. upon returning home i have around 50-70 gal left in each tank.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

What is your use and setup ?
    Tanks = 1 or 2 ?
    Size and location?

Only way that fuel temperature in the tanks would rise to something even to consider would be if you had very low fuel level in them and you ran ran for very long days. Several hour runs with normal levels in the tank are going to be a non-issue. And the fuel temp rise would only be noticed in loss of HP at WOT.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.