• Creator
    Topic

wayne
    Participant
    Engines: cummins 330 6BTA diamonds seies

since its frowned upon to use my boat at the moment due to covid 19 i decided i would start my aftercooler service that I have been putting off . removed aftercooler on starboard engine only at this stage and pulled it apart today well it has obviously never been serviced in fifteen years and I dont know how I wasnt over heating as it was mostly blocked also managed to snap a bolt on the bottom cap severely rusted. Got the core out eventualy and well I think its seen better days there is also pretty heavy corrosion on the casing sealing surfaces see attached pics.
    I am now pricing up 2 complete after coolers as I am pretty sure the Port engine will be same (will check first)
    unless there is some miracle that can be done with these?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Think “misting” if that helps —— What’s done is done, so move past this and do better down the road.

Tony

wayne
    Participant
    Engines: cummins 330 6BTA diamonds seies

Sh%t your scaring the crap out of me here , surely if the engine had been digesting salt water i would have seen some sign at the exhaust steam or such also on inspection the air heaters are clean and no sign of corrosion or salt

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Actually, I amazed you got them apart at all.. For sure you have been feeding your engine some salt water, but what’s done is done.. Move forward and be sure your replacement coolers are fully serviced per my protocol before you install them, and, IMO, service every year for a while before you decide to put it off.. Consider fresh water flushing as that allows 2-3X the service intervals and can easily make this aftercooler last well over years and still look like new when taken apart..

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes, she’s beyond done. Would be an interesting time to pull an oil sample.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.