• Creator
    Topic

Bill kosky
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paula iv
    Engines: Yanmar 6lya stp

morning, 42 ft ,26000 lb boat trawler. can this engine be upgraded to 350 ? prop is currently 28 by 21 ,tranny twin disc 506-1 , can i add diameter and pitch but maintain the max rpm and increase speed ? currently cruise at 8 to 9 knots at 2000 rpm, can we get this to 10 ,11 knots or higher ? engine has 4300 hours.

also to replace, recommended engine re manufactured ?

thanks

bill

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill kosky
    Participant

Tranny twindisc 506 1 , prop 28 21 .Current cruise 8 9 knots. Unknown wot and max rpm.

Shaft 2 1/4 inch. Would love to keep current engine but cant handle 8 9 knots. Recreation , 250 hours a year seasonal 6 mos.

Fuel burn at 16 knots as little ad possible.

2000 boat can I use remaned mechanical .Suggestion would be helpful. Weight maybe 2800 but told 26000.

Would love to keep current engine but not at 8 or 9 knots. And can you trade old engines in ?

A lot of questions I know.

Thanks

Bill

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Post a few pictures of the boat..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your engine reaches 2700-2800 now ( 2900 would be best), what is your speed at WOT?

Use 15-17 Kts as a “cruise” speed———-How much fuel are you willing to burn per hour at these speeds?

Hours per year you expect to use the boat?

Average trip length with at 15-17 Kts might me how many miles?

Current gear ratio= ??

Current shaft size = ??

Your weight——Guess, measured, or ??………….. That seems pretty light for a 42 Provincial, at least for the ones I am familiar with………………………. With full fuel and provisions as you use the boat ??

Answer the above 7 questions. Be verbose if needed to explain..

Tony

Bill kosky
    Participant

Thank you but its a Provincial and they are used for commervial fishing in N.S.They have very large engines installed .I would like to cruise at 115 to 17knots. Plenty of room in hull. Suggestion on engine, can I use a mechanical on this year ?

Bill

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Trying to travel faster in a trawler

Simple answer is a boat like this has a magic speed in the 7-10Kts range regardless of the engines maximum HP.. If your engine reachs 2700-2800 now ( 2900 would be best), what is your speed at WOT?

What is your WOT RPM in neutral? Check it with the engine warm and write it down.. 2-3 second at WOT no-load will hurt nothing.

Also, how much fuel in GPH are you will to burn at 10K, 11Kts or 12 Kts?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.