• Creator
    Topic

Steven Danaher
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ping

I watched the video where Seaboard installed a 6BTA in an Albin 28.  SB used a generator center rise exhaust manifold, which worked great. Can a center rise manifold be used with the QSB5.9?  The oil line to the turbo might have to be custom.  Any other issues? What about a 6.7 in an Albin 28?  Did Cummins ever make a center rise manifold for a marine genset?   

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The QSB 5.9 380  is “close” to the size of a 6BTA 5.9 mechanical.  But a high-mount turbo would not be possible unless you had and extra $10+K to add to the job.. Major engineering and design/fabrication  needed.

Steven Danaher
    Participant

Thanks for the tips on the 6.7 being too large.  I have been looking for a 28, but do not have one yet. The engine box model is what I am looking for.   The 5.9 install information I obtained from the Seaboard youtube video.  I believe Seaboard used a generator exhaust manifold so the turbo was high and in the center. 

The Cummins being installed is a 6BTA, but I would expect that the manifold would also work with a QSB5.9.  My main goals are good fuel economy and moderate sound levels.  The QSB should be much quieter than mechanical injection models.  Would the QSB be the same size as the 6BTA?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You cannot talk about a 28 Albin with any degree of accuracy without knowing if you are referencing an engine box model (pre-2004ish) or the later production flush deck models.  The video was an engine box model.  The 5.9 is a tight fit in the Albin 28 EBM.  I would have to say that you would not get a 6.7 in there at all.  I was on one Albin 28 with a CAT 3116 (7.2L) and the deck and engine box were cut and modified to fit the engine.   There’s a reason that most A28’s had the Yanmar 6LP.  And the flush deck model is no better and worse in some ways.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

No, they do not make a top-mounted turbo it that is what you are referring to..

Pictures of what you a referencing would be nice,

Steven Danaher
    Participant

bump

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.