• Creator
    Topic

john
    Participant

On the water now. Engine died. Getting fuel pressure low center alarm. Engine cranks but does not fire or run. Sounds like a lift pump failure.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The QSB 5.9 has an odd fuel system ( Cummins variant/design) not Bosch like the 6.7, QSC & QSL..

Elec. pump times out before start but once started, it needs to run 100% all the time or the engine falls on it face or will not run at all. Early on for the 1st few years there was a very high failure rate of these pumps……Also, it is very frustrating to R&R as it’s hidden behind the ECM.

john
    Participant

Does it fine out or does it go off because of sufficient pressure and come on again?

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

380 pump times out also

john
    Participant

So doing a little research the lift pump on a qsb 6.7 shuts off after one minute or when sufficient pressure. So might not be the lift pump. I guess the 5.9 it runs continuously. Kind of frustrating because the owner is now gun shy on taking the boat out. Everything looked perfect

john
    Participant

Here is the odd thing. Went down to the boat and cranked it a few times and got it running. Running good and no fuel error codes.

john
    Participant

It was a friend and I ended up just towing him in. He talked to the previous mechanic and he said it was most likely a clogged fuel filter. The ten micron racor was perfect. He was saying the engine filters were 3 micron. I don’t really know. sounds like the lift pump is coming on. To me I would think it would give more of a lack of power with a fuel filter. Not just cruising at 1900 and bam not running or starting. I will look tomorrow and see if its actually pumping. Thank you for the response.

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Open the front Allen screw on top of engine fuel filter. Turn key to on position. Should get fuel flow . If not you could be right.

john
    Participant

Here is a picture

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.