• Creator
    Topic

Kurt Luebs
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kulas Adventure
    Engines: 1995 Cummins 6BTA X2

Hello, I’m a Cummins newbie. Just bought a 1996 Bayliner 3587 with 2 6BTA 250 Hp engines. I am trying to get to a zero standpoint for all maintenance items that have not been done. The raw water pump impellers are about 2-1/2 years old, so I want to throw some new ones in there and carry some spares. None of the pumps that I see for sale here look like ones on my boat. They have 4 bolts that hold the plate on, and all the ones I see have 3. They are black, so I’m sure they are not original. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Kurt

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

These are Sherwood 1730’s (99%)–you are up too close .. Get back a few feet and let me “SEE” the entire side of the engine and the plumbing that goes from the pump to ??..

Kurt Luebs
    Participant

more info…

These are M2s with CPL 1613 if that helps…

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt Luebs
    Participant

pics and my bad…

Thanks for the replies They really do have 3 bolts on the cover…got down in there today with some good lighting. I guess these are Sherwoods? Will the SMX pumps work for this application? The pumps look pretty new, so I’ll probably start out with several sets of impellers.

Kurt

Edwin Harvie
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Merry Kate
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9M1

Kurt – 6BTA 250Hp JWAC of that vintage probably uses the Sherwood GC-4 or GC-5 raw water pump (1.5″ hose). Tony’s SMX Super 15 impellers fit them and are better than the original. Pictures would confirm like Tony says.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1—————–Post good pictures of what you are describing so we can “see” the pumps as you see them..

Tony

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.