• Creator
    Topic

Keith Giller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riv. 43
    Engines: Cummins 450 Diamond

Probably a stupid question but here it goes….had my mechanic put in 160 degree thermostats for my 6CTA’s. So obviously when running the boat that’s where they stay. So my question is how would I know if the engine is overheating? Assuming if there was an issue my gauges would reflect a problem? Or my alarm I guess?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Rereading the original post I do now see where you are coming from. Interesting. I never read it that way. Either way heā€™s got some good feedback from all to help him sort through his questions .. Thanks.

Gene Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Yorkshire Rose
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

The opening post sure implied to me the concern that the gauges would always shows 160 degrees if the thermostat was 160 degrees.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

The gauges are 100% independent from the thermostats, in any engine. They simply do not talk to each other.

Where in this thread did it state or imply otherwise?

Gene Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Yorkshire Rose
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

Seems like some misunderstanding here.

The gauges are 100% independent from the thermostats, in any engine. They simply do not talk to each other.

If the gauges work they will show the temperature where they are located regardless of the opening temperature of the thermostats.

The 160 degree thermostats do not “corrupt” the reading on the gauges.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Light only or light & buzzer, how loud is the buzzer? – only worth it’s weight if it’s “annoyingly loud” at key on. How exactly is the light/buzzer driven, looks like a setup not to include the Cummins OEM PCB so you have engine installed switches or do those gauges have the ability to signal an external device?

Keith Giller
    Participant

Dash Pic

Dash

Keith Giller
    Participant

Dash

Rob, here’s a pick of the dash. Essentially the dummy light is tied to the ignition which measures oil pressure and engine temp. Again, the 160TS essentially stay put on the gauges no matter what RPM I’m running the boat. My fear is that if there’s an overheat issues how would I know from up top if they both stay at 160. Thanks.

Keith Giller
    Participant

Thank again Rob

I’m heading to the boat today and I’ll take some pics. But I really only have two ignition alarms/lights tied to oil pressure and over heating.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Eyes on the gauges is key. Depending on your alarm type and it’s reliability it could be too little too late or it could save your a$$….. Post a pic of your instrumentation and warning lights.

Keith Giller
    Participant

Thanks

Thanks everyone so much. I do a lot of night running so just cruise her easy but yeah, day time running she’s on plane for the most part.

So with the 160’s, if the engines did ever start to overheat would it be my gauges or alarm to look out for? Or both I guess?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

M3 450’s

Dataplates attached. These are later model 450’s with 160 deg tstats. Your mechanic brought you back to OEM spec which is good as I would imagine based on the type of vessel you run her “on-plane”, not trawler style.

Keith Giller
    Participant

Thanks Tony

Port is 45745225, Stbd is 45745144

If I recall, it was a few years ago and I suffer from CRS (cant remember shit) we had an issue with the port thermostat so we replaced both with 160’s. Not sure the reason why to be honest.

The previous owner put 180’s in there.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Questions for you..

1) Why did your mechanic decide you needed 160F stats?

2) Post engine serial numbers? Most all but the very earliest 450 Diamonds came from the factory with 160F stats

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.