Steve Lewis
Participant
Vessel Name: Just Us
Engines: Cummins 480CE

Factory Performance Test

Brad,

I have attached the factory performance test for your model of boat and engine and then also attached the fuel curve from Cummins for same engine. You will see that in the very important cruise RPM range, the engine is overloaded. From the factory! I am going to pile onto one of Rob Schepis’ comments. Potential overpropping. Dare I say it is pretty much a given that your boat is overpropped. I highly recommend doing what Rob says and once the boat goes in the water(Sea Trial?) you chart your fuel burn at the cruise RPM range. Looks like 2200 – 2800 by my estimates. Plot your fuel burn numbers against the Cummins fuel burn numbers. The numbers on the Cummins chart are the ones you need to stay below in the Cruise range. That will most likely mean you will need to have some prop work done. By that we mean have some inches of pitch removed. That will unload the engine a bit and get the fuel burn down. The voodoo is how much pitch will do that. Find a good prop shop and tell them your numbers and the goal and they will be able to get your prop sorted.

Just a thought…….

If you have not bought it yet and you have the ability to modify your offer based on the outcome of the survey and sea trial, you might negotiate some of these items by having the seller offset the cost of the items by lowering the price.

Good Luck!

1 user thanked author for this post.