• Creator
    Topic

John Hobby
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Lofty
    Engines: 6BT 5.9M

Hi to all. New to the forum. Purchased a 1999 Eastern with 6BT 5.9M. My question, only one zinc in heat exchanger. That is what I have seemed to determine. Am I right? I have a PSS and I would assume they took the other zinc location and ran the cooling line. I am used to Yanmar ^LPA that had several zincs. Would appreciate any info. Love the Cummins, 392 hour when I bought the boat, got 440 now. Thanks

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Hey Rob. One other thing. My parts guy has sold me a Camp 2E. Is that the correct length you think? Thanks. John

Yes that would be “E2” John but will need to be trimmed to avoid bottoming out. See the second link I posted above, we talk about sizing and I posted a size chart.

John Hobby
    Participant

Zinc number

Hey Rob. One other thing. My parts guy has sold me a Camp 2E. Is that the correct length you think? Thanks. John

John Hobby
    Participant

Thanks so much to all. Ya, I do feel like Iā€™m missing something but 1 is easy. Thanks again. I am happy to be part of this forum. John

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Looks like Brendan and I were typing at the same time. Here’s some pics to supplement his point as to the standard length zinc bottoming out against the casting

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Cummins Zincs

Just the one, see this link. Yup, big difference coming to Cummins from a Yanmar as to zincs – makes you think “Am I missing something ā€¦ there’s gotta be more?…”

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/zinc-locations-for-the-mechanical-b-c-qsb-5-9-qsl-wet-qsm-engines/

Not sure if you’ve seen this one:

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/pencil-zinc-install/

Anonymous
    Inactive

6bt Zincs

Yes sir, the 6bt only has one zinc in the bottom of the hx. They are sensitive to zincs that are to long. Be careful not to force one in that is to long.

The factory Trans coolers have no zincs. There are upgrade transmission coolers that have zincs. I would take a look and see if yours has been upgraded. If it has not been upgraded i would recommend that you do so.

Typically people install the PSS water supply from the water drain on the bottom of the transmission cooler.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.