• Creator
    Topic

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Wel, it’s been almost a year since I converted to fresh water flushing, here is what my zincs looked like after one year. Lots of material left, probably 75-80% but there is lots of scale so they were changed.

Can I go longer?

Phil

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Pull the zinc ever 2-3 months, tap or hit with a hammer to break off the “flaky stuff” and re-install ( save a couple of bucks?–I would)

But then again, I’m Greek..

Tony

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Thanks Rob!

I figured I didn’t want more than a year for the same reasons. Prior to fresh water flushing they would have needed replacement every six months so fresh water flushing does double the service life.

Phil

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

It sure looks like you can get more out of them but may or may not be the best move. My concern would be that a combination of the crud that builds up and the softening of the zinc could make them more prone to breaking off when you back ’em out of the cooler. That what be annoying to deal with. I also like a more frequent change-out as it’s a good excuse to crawl around and really get a close eye on things…

I’ve never gone more than one full season as it’s just part of the annual commissioning thing here in my neck of the woods.

The following is from the boatzinc website tech page advising that the crud should not effect the zinc’s function:

The hard scale commonly found on the surface of zinc anodes is Zinc Carbonate (ZnCO3). Carbonate (CO3) occurs in all bodies of water and originates from atmospheric carbon dioxide gas (CO2) naturally dissolving into the water. In general you do not need to be concerned about this scale as it only affects the maximum output amperage of the anode, not the anode’s required trickle output necessary to maintain effective corrosion protection. Zinc Carbonate is water insoluble, but can be readily removed by either alkalies or acids.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.