• Creator
    Topic

Brett Griffin
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Searenity
    Engines: 6BTA5.9-M3

We recently signed a contract to sell our boat which has Cummins 6BTA5.9’s coupled to ZF80A transmissions. The buyer had oil samples done and all were normal exept the port transmission which came back with a high iron content of 219ppm. We have only had the boat 12 months and I’ve done almost everything exept change the transmission oils on her. I do not want to sell her to the buyer in the current state if this is going to become a problem for them and would like to get it fixed if need be. My gut feeling is a one off test is not really telling us much and we should just change the AFT and continue to monitor it. I believe some ZF transmissions have a magnetic plug which might also be worth checking. Any advise on how to proceed would be most appreciated. Also if worst comes to worse how hard is it to remove and rebuild/repair one of these transmissions. Cheers Brett

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

“Plug & Play” replacement ( internal design changes only).. Availability is usually 1-2 days max…

Tony

Brett Griffin
    Participant

Thanks Rob for the info on the ZF85. Is it a direct bolt on to replace the 80A and at about $5000 it might be easier than mucking around getting the old one out for repairs. Do Seaboard have them in stock.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

To clean the filter I put them in a wonton soup container with mineral spirits and swish it around then let it self drain. Ā Roll up a paper towel and place it in the center hole. Ā Blow the filter dry from the outside in. Ā The paper towel being in the center will catch the blow out and let you see what comes out and it will also keep you from blowing the debris across the center of the filter to the other side. Ā Like Tony said, the crud is on the inside because these filters filter from the inside out.

I guess you’re still asking about the “repair” $$ because your in the midst of a sale. Ā No one can estimate time without real good pictures of what needs to be dealt with as far as access, marine age, yard fees, travel time to/from, etc. etc. Ā FWIW, the replacement (and improved) Ā gear is the ZF85 which is every bit of $5K “off the shelf”

Brett Griffin
    Participant

Thanks Tony great advise I’ll do exactly that. Just out of interest would you know what would be a ball park time and cost to remove the transmission and replace the clutch?

Also looking closer at the test results they have entered the wrong gear box so may have given me incorrect results, Brett

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Rob’s advise in right on———I take random oil samples with Ā a grain of salt, especially Ā one like this.. Change your oil.. When you remove the filter, clean/swirl it in a clean glass 8 0z container using gasoline–The “stuff” with be on the inside pleats–Then see what you got.. A magnet will pull the iron out if you really have any..

But will Ā that said, the ZF80 does have a colorful history of breaking clutch plates..

Tony

Tony

Brett Griffin
    Participant

Thanks Rob,

Brett

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Go with your gut ——– service the fluid, clean or replace the metal mesh filter (genuine ZF) use the boat and monitor..

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.