• Creator
    Topic

Patrick
    Participant
    Engines: QSB 5.9 330

Hello all! Great forum you have here.

Thought I’d ask if there was any tricks to changing the fluid in my ZF gear box. This is my first time.

My understanding is:

Warm up first, remove filter cover and filter, suck out old fluid through dip stick hole.

Clean filter screen and replace same amount of fluid extracted with new Dextron III ATF. Check levels after brief run

Here are some pics of my engine room and running gauge readings on the smart craft.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Patrick
    Participant

The job was fairly easy after realizing the best suction hose access to the bottom of the gear case is through the filter hole. Ā The gears get in the way trying to snake the hose down the dipstick hole.

Thank again.

-Patrick

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes, any name brand. Ā Some quantity variation could result due to angle of installation and the method of removal. Ā Check the dipstick level before removing the fluid for a reference.

Patrick
    Participant

Rob,

Thanks for the suggestions. Ā The manual says 5.5 qt. capacity. Is this how much I can expect to be able to

remove? Ā Is there a recommended brand ATF? Valvoline Ok?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Fluid Change Tips

Temp and Pressure look good.

No need to warm up the engine first, you want the fluid to be drained out of your cooler and the ATF is thin so it will remove easy.

Under that 6MM allen head is a cartridge filter not a screen. Ā It is a metal filter and is cleanable.

Use a clean (not dirty engine oil) tube to suck out the fluid if you can’t use the drain at the bottom of the case.

The filter filters from the inside out so clean it in the opposite direction. Ā Soak the filter in mineral spirits. Ā Let it drip dry. Ā Roll up paper towels and put the paper towels through the inside of the filter and use compressed air and blow the filter clean and dry from the outside in. Ā The paper towels in the center will do two things, it will keep you from blowing the dirt from one side to the other and it will let you “see” what is coming out. Ā When the grey matter is gone and the filter is dry you are done.

Clean, inspect and lube the orings.

Avoid the high mark on refill.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.