• Creator
    Topic

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Outer Limits
    Engines: 6bta 300hp

I am getting ready to install my 6bta 300 with zf220a. I am wanting to replace the seals and address what appears to be a minor leak between the casing pieces. The shop wants ~1100$ to do the job. Is this something that I can do myself if I am mechanically inclined? Are there any special tools specific to the zf I would need or would I be able to get it done with the mechanics tools I have?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

All your force is being used up by the puller bending. You are past it’s limit. Buy a better puller .

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

A puller like that might exert 500 Lbs at best of pulling force.. Undue the center threaded shaft and use anti-seize on the thread– That may get you another 10%.. Same on the “center” –not sure what you have going into– But reduce friction as much as possible in all places…

You just need to pull harder although the few that I have pulled were never very tight.

Tony

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant

I will get some pics when I’m at my
    Shop tomorrow. Here is what I have for now… I broke my 3 arm puller so I tried this out.

Tony Athens

Post some good pictures of what you have going on..

Tony

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant

flange removal

Any suggestions on getting this flange off? I’ve got the puller on it as tight as I can get with a 2 ft breaker bar. Even hit it with a few bursts of the impact. Tried heat and everything else in the book. next step is getting a hydraulic 3 arm puller.

Tony Athens

Working on a ZF220A

Andrew,

As gears go, the 220A is a relatively easy one to deal with if you are “hands-on”, have a decent work shop and the typical tools needed to work on a 50-60’s era 3-speed automotive “crash box”.. My high school days..

Best to have a work shop manual and really clean it up well externally BEFORE to do it (split the cases) .. If you just go for the input & output seals, then it’s real easy.

ZF 220A or ZF 220V Coupling Removal & Seal Replacement

Tony

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant

is replacing the input and output seal as easy as it seams? that was the major reason for taking it into the shop

john
    Participant

If it is just splitting the case I can’t really see 1100$ but I am sure the want to make the estimate on th high side. Sounds like your opening a can of worms to me. You don’t see them leak at the flange split that much. Making sure everything is shimmed right is the hard part. You will need a shop manual for that though

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.