• Creator
    Topic

Matthew Watson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Chaos
    Engines: Cummings qsc8.3 500

Starboard transmission reverse getting little “sticky”. Need to shift in and out couple times for it to go reverse.
    Had same problem on port and fixed issue with new solenoid and previous owner had replaced forward solenoid
    Shortly before I purchased boat. Wondering if the problem is the whole solenoid or just the coil. Anyway to test
    the coil vs whole solenoid. Transmission zf 280 with 12 v 3207308033 solenoid glendinning fly by wire system
    Thanks for any info

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

EB15 solenoid in the one.

Tony

Rick Prince
    Participant

Thanks Tony and Matt. Will give it a go and let you know how I make out.

Tony, I have a 280A version ZF transmission. I believe I would need the EB15 Shift solenoid correct?

Matthew Watson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Chaos
    Engines: Cummings qsc8.3 500

Fixed

Rick, I took the advice and swapped coils and yes the coil was bad. I had hard time finding coil separately from whole assembly so purchased new complete solenoid. Works great now I also got a spare since they all have gone bad. 4100 hours on engines and only real issue has been those solenoids so not complaining.
    Good luck

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Remove the coil–simple

Remove the solenoid itself– simple

Clean the lower screen–simple–Use air and WD-40.

While out, put the coil back on at test it a few times with a battery or ??–Simple–There is NO polarity to worry about–It’s just a coil

Grease the o-ring and install the solenoid–simple

Install the coil and do not over tighten the cone cap.

All too simple to trouble shoot.

ZF Electric Shift Solenoid Information

Rick Prince
    Participant

Coils or solenoid/valve ?

Did you resolve your problem? Did it turn out to be the coil or did you have to change the whole solenoid/valve assembly?

I have a similar problem. When I shift into reverse, transmission will not come out of gear when I return shift lever to neutral position. I have to move shift lever to the forward position momentarily and then back to neutral to get transmission is disengage from reverse. Not sure if valve is sticking?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Swap coils…

Mathew, why don’t you try swapping the coils and see if you the issue persists in the opposite direction? That will at least tell you if the issue lies with the coil itself or if you’ll need to explore the entire solenoid/valve…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.