• Creator
    Topic

Europeanautoctr
    Participant

I have been chasing down a possible transmission temp problem.
    does anyone know what the temp specs are??? After running 1/2 hour port side runs 130 degrees f the starboard runs 165 degrees f. some thoughts are sice one side is counter rotation it will run hotter??? I have owned the boat since new 2005, Searay 390 dancer with cummins 370 qsb diesels. I have never noticed this. Presures at 2400 rpm are the same side to side 365 psi. When at 850 rpm pressures are 320psi / 131 deg f on the port side, 266psi/165 deg f. I know that when the fluid gets hot the pressures will go down. I used at temp gun on the tramsmissions, gauges are correct. Any suggestions???. I have replaced the intake hose from seacock to raw water pump, swapped coolers side to side, front pumps & hoses side to side, replace pistion rings at pump.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Europeanautoctr
    Participant

temp update

I removed the exhaust elbow from the turbo, the outlet(shower head design) was partly clogged with rust scale. I had a new end for the elbow with larger holes made, now after 1 hr of run time at 2400 RPM it still climbs to 195 & rising. Afraid to let it run hotter. The engine temp has dropped from 185 to 175. So all the hoses, diesel fuel cooler, after cooler, trans cooler, engine heat exchanger & water outlet from the exhaust elbow have been changed. I think my next step is to check the water temp into the trans cooler, I will test port & starboard to compare. The water flows from the raw water pump throgh deisel fuel cooler then after cooler then to the trans cooler. Has any body had any trouble with higher water temp at the cooler???

Europeanautoctr
    Participant

temp

Cooler has been replaced last year, I swapped coolers side to side this year. Never ran hot like this before. Maybe a new complete raw water pump & 2 hoses that have not been swapped may help. My shaft is out of alignment by .015, no vibrations. I am ordering new mounts, rear starboard is rusted & nut frozen.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Stuff to think about while you are chasing this possible real or “perceived issue”………

How about replacing the gear cooler? Inside of the tubes have a calcium/lime coating and do not transfer heat ? How old in the gear cooler in “Years”? Ever heard of plaque?

Oil direction vs. water direction thru the cooler? Should be opposite for most heat rejection. Compare to the other side.

If you did not measure temp, would you even have an issue to ask about?

The temp in your cars automatic transmission can easily run at 180-200F ++. Why does that not matter?

For 100% sure, the oil in you engine can run above 200F in NORMAL operation.. Does that matter?

Did the gear ever run cooler?

Tony

Europeanautoctr
    Participant

temp update

I have replaced the transmission from 80 1v to 85, still runs hot. I verifed with temp gun, gauge is correct. I swapped transmission cooler lines from port to starboard. The fluid lines are mounted same port to starboard, front fluid hose to inlet of trans cooler???? I have pulled the boat, cleaned raw water pick ups, replaced hose from sea cock to strainer, hose from strainer to raw water pump, hose from raw water pump to diesel fuel cooler, after cooler, hose from after cooler to trans cooler, replaced trans cooler, replaced engine heat exchanger, still runs hot only after 30 min of running at 80 % throttle. I by passed sea strainer, the tides marine shaft seal coupler is slightly leaking, no drag on shaft, engine is slightly out of alignment( marina tech to align tomarrow & replace shaft seal, i am to large to get under engine LOL) I pulled raw water pump off engine & took apart, no visual damage. I am ordering complete new pump tomarrow from Sea Board. I am also ordering small hose from diesel cooler to after cooler & hose from trans cooler to heat exchanger, both these hoses look ok.ANY SUGGESTIONS THIS IS KILLING ME. DOES ANYBODY KNOW A GOOD TECH IN THE FAIRFIELD COUNTY PART OF CONNECTICUT???

Big ray
    Participant
    Vessel Name: The last one
    Engines: Man

Did you ever find the problem. I am having the same issue with a zf 165. I hav

I am having the same problem with a zf 165. The oil is clean not burnt shifts great water is running easily through the cooler. I just runs 160-190. Did you ever find a solution?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The heat exchanger on the engine cools only the engine coolant. The tranny fluid/oil is cooled by the dedicated gear oil cooler, The only thing that is common between the two of them is the seawater that passes through.

Have you ruled out restricted seawater flow from a partially blocked cooler or hose upstream and downstream of the gear cooler ?

Europeanautoctr
    Participant

temp

I ran the boat for 1 hour 3 days ago, port side runs 140/ starboard runs 177. Yesterday in 10 min the starboard ran 205/ port 140. I tested with temp gun gauges correct. The engines running 175 deg verified with temp gun. Will heat exchanger on the engine ever cause transmission temp but not engine temp problems???

Europeanautoctr
    Participant

temp

Thanks for the reply, I would love to sea trial same boat to verify. Does anyone have cummins 5.9 with zf 80lv’s????

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The ZF80’s ( A’s or IV’s) have a history of clutch dragging causing high temps–165F is not too high for continuous operation–…….In fact, it’s good as the oil will stay cleaner as to moisture content– 180F to 200+ F is common in a RV gear that use the same ATF

Yes the gear that uses the “B” position usually runs hotter, an if the “A” clutches” drag just a tad, it will add some degrees to the mix… What does your HAND say as to them temps on the case or metal end on the oil lines compared to the valve cover on the engine–IMO, Learn that feel–way better that a heat gun

An option–Switch to 15W-40 in the suspect gear–You might be surprised how much nicer the gear runs and shifts. The SKI BOAT guys with HIGH HP gassers and HIGH RPM engines figured that out years ago and got ZF to bless them…

Overall, I’d say, don’t worry and just WWM……….

Tony

Europeanautoctr
    Participant

low pressure.

I do not usually do not monitor. The fluid is not burnt, all nice and pink with no smell. Fluid was at low mark, I have added 1/2 qt to bring up to top mark. Same temp. After all componets were swapped, temp still high. I have spent approx 25 hours on this. it is makeing me crazy.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Have you always monitored gear temp or is this something new you decided to take a peek at?
    How does the fluid look and smell.
    What level are you running the fluid at? Have you tried running it at the low mark on the stick?
    So you swapped the gear coolers and lines between the two engines and the temps remained unchanged, correct.?
    Yes that temp is high but has not exceeded what would be consider MAX which I believe is in the area of 175F.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.