• Creator
    Topic

scott hotchkiss
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Miss Mackenzie
    Engines: cummins 6bta 5.9 m3

Hello, I have a ZF 220A marine gear and found out that reverse is not working, The gear lever engages but no reverse. I have F/N and the lever moves freely. oil level is good. would this or could this be a pump issue? the gear is just over 4 years old.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Have you checked the pressure?Ā  Ā  I don’t know your gear box but some have pressure portsĀ  for each of the directions.Ā  Ā  You will need a guage that can handle,Ā  likelyĀ  up to 600psi . Ā  Ā 

Check all positions,Ā  F,N,R.Ā  Ā  Ā cold and hot.Ā  Especially when the R goofs up.Ā  Ā  JMO

Jesse
    Participant

Similar problem with intermittent reverse.

Did you ever find a solution? I am experiencing something similar with my 220A, once the gearbox is at running temperature, I cannot get reverse to engage. When cold it engages but with a slight delay. Forward works perfectly normal always.

Iā€™ve changed the fluid, didnā€™t smell burnt or appear abnormal. Screen is clear, and there was only a couple small grains of metal on the magnet.

Wondering if itā€™s clutch time? Is this a valve or pump issue?

scott hotchkiss
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Miss Mackenzie
    Engines: cummins 6bta 5.9 m3

ZF 220A no reverse

I pulled the magnetic plug and screen, it all looks good and clean. I drained the oil and replaced with new SAE 30, checked the lever “stop to stop” and spool shaft rotation……..all good! The oil that was removed looked good and clean as well. ?????

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Have you removed the cable at the gear lever and moved the lever manually, “stop to stop” and watch the center spool shaft rotate both directions with the lever? Broken rev clutch plates on your is not your issue.

Pull the screen & magnetic plug at the bottom of the gear under the pump–Let’s see what’s in there.

Dean E Adams
    Participant
    Vessel Name: TORTUGA
    Engines: Cummins

I had a ZF HSW800 same issue . I pulled and tore down found all the reverse clutch disc broken . I believe what I did was shift without being at idle and possibly shifting too fast from foward to reverse . Just exploded all the disc . The rest of the trans was fine . Not sure about a 220 .

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.