• Creator
    Topic

Tim Klassen
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Reel Steel
    Engines: 6bta 370

I have a ZF gear on my 6bta 370 with about 3500 hours. I am not having any problems other than gear whine that has been there since I got the boat (1,000 hrs). I cannot afford mid season breakdowns and I am curious if it would be good to remove the transmission and have it inspected during my off season.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

That’s a Tony question ?

Tim Klassen
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. How far back do you have to slide the tranny to remove it?

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

I had the same gear/ ratio/ 370 in my 31 Blackfin. Not as many hours.

IMO if all is OK running today, and you have a window of time at a later date, I’d have Tony choose a torsional coupler out for the 220A/370 package and change it out next “down time”.

Easy enough to do if you can slide the tranny back a bit to get in there.
    Use a strap to support the weight when you slide everything back……or undo the tranny/shaft coupler and lift the tranny out.

Bill D

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

This is a tough one, but if all are operating parameters of the engines and gears are on spec, and this whine has been there since “new or close to new”, then there are only 2 possibilities left, but one would seem more likely…

You have a QC issue with the gear itself ( not likely), or a total mis-match of the torsional coupling that was used in the engine gear package………………As to a pending failure– Not the gear, but the coupling could totally fail and leave you stranded.. No coupling made for these type on gears in good for more that 3000-5000 hours anyway…………They all break or fail in one way or another.

As a side note——–Buy a gallon of MOBIL Mobilfluid 424.. It has some amazing properties and many of those that I told to use it had good results..

Tony

Tony Athens

This is a tough one, but if all are operating parameters of the engines and gears are on spec, and this whine has been there since “new or close to new”, then there are only 2 possibilities left, but one would seem more likely…

You have a QC issue with the gear itself ( not likely), or a total mis-match of the torsional coupling that was used in the engine gear package………………As to a pending failure– Not the gear, but the coupling could totally fail and leave you stranded.. No coupling made for these type on gears in good for more that 3000-5000 hours anyway…………They all break or fail in one way or another.

Tony

Tim Klassen
    Participant

Here’s a little more info. The trans is a ZF IRM 220A-1 with 1.533/1 ratio, serial # 12887J . It has never been removed as far as I know. The gear whine has been there since I purchased it with 1,000 hours. Regular oil service. There has never been any material on the drain plug magnet or on the filter screen and the oil has always been clean ( light honey color). The gear now has 3500 hours. It gets fairly heavy use as a daily sportfishing charter. I put about 1,000 hours per year on the boat in a seven month season. Per the advice given on this site I had the prop re pitched to get 3100 RPM. When I purchased the boat originally it would only achieve 2850 RPM. I do not know anything about the torsional coupling.

Tony Athens

Pretty tough to even try and help with basically zero posted..

Exact model of gear?

Hours on gear?

Exact model of torsional coupling?

Hours on torsional coupling?

Oil change history, filter inspection history, oil color?

When did this WHINE start?

Vessel/ engine application & type? Hours per year?

Tony

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.