• Creator
    Topic

Raymond Slingerland
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 1986 Trojan International 10 meter express
    Engines: 300 hpCummins 5bta

Thought I had posted this but apparently not, so will try again. Need some discussion about Yanmar versus Cummins in the 270 to 330 hp range. I have had two boats with Yanmars , one boat with Cats,. And one boat with Volvo. The Yanmar support here is very poor. Small one man operation and the Cat and Volvo experience was expensive parts and in the case of riser for the old 3208NA, nearly impossible to get. So in my search for my next boat I have made a determination it will have to have Cummins. Cats and Volvos are still out, but wondering if my decision to eliminate Yanmars might be hasty. Probably be the 6cyl series of Yanmars. My impression is the Cummins parts are readily available, inexpensive, and most mechanics can work on them. And they have good reliability history. My Yanmar support or lack up, has been a major factor in my decision. Getting parts and cost is another consideration. As far as reliability and cost to maintain, how do they compare to the Cummins? Didnā€™t have the Yanmars long enough to get any kind of feel for that. Engines will be in a fairly large boat, 34 to 40 feet are being considered, with flybridge etc. As in previous post a Bayliner 3788 was under consideration but decided to pass on it. So as I continue my search what about the Yanmars as the power?? Thanks

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Brian Fitzpatrick
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Whiskey Fitz
    Engines: Yanmar 6LY2A-STPM

yanmar support in Pensacola

Ray,

There is a new Yanmar Dealer in Pensacola. Flat Island BoatWorks at the Pensacola shipyard has added Yanmar to their scope. The have added technicians and space to support. They have done extensive work on my 6LY2A-STP 440 HP engines and I am happy with them.

Their Service Manager is very well versed on the Yanmars, along with Cummins, CAT, MAN and others.

tractorsaleshop
    Participant

Yanmar

If you have enough budget and time to do maintenance, definitely Yanmar has an excellent performance. You can also easily supply spare parts from here when you need them.
    https://originalparts4you.com/yanmar

Raymond Slingerland
    Participant

Cummins versus Yanmar

The engine was a Cummins 6bta 5.9M2. Probably the original install in the 1997 boat. I believe the serial number probably indicated a 1995 build. A test 3 years ago, when the owner bought the boat, was ok. 2 weeks ago, with 220 hours or so on the oil the report was not good. 6 severe or abnormal readings. Iron, Chromium, Copper,Aluminum,Silicon, and Sodium. I believe I posted the reports here. Since the support for engine rebuild in my area is limited, and considering the cost of same, I just couldn’t take the chance that the engine was ok and the report was a “fluke” or in error.

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

Raymond,
    I’m curious.
    The boat you would have “already owned” with the engine that failed the oil analysis…….
    ……..what make and model was the engine ?

Thanks, Bill D

Raymond Slingerland
    Participant

Valve issue

I have a camper too. It doesn’t use Yanmars. I note some of the older boats, with the older yanmars only have 300, or 600 or 800 hours on the engines. Not sure if that is enough hours to cause the problem according to posts from those people that had the issue. Those posts referred to a class action lawsuit, but didn’t talk about SN on the engines. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Maybe the title of this thread should be “Yanmar, Cummins or a Camper” !

That was an earlier production issue and many many years ago. I would expect the engines that had that issue were either corrected by now proactively or they swallowed a valve and won’t be your problem. As you found out, the serial number will tell. And, if you find an early 6LP that falls into that serial number range and the owner (or broker) “tells” you the head or just the seals were updated request the valve cover be removed. You can inspect the valve seals without taking apart the overhead. Gray is bad, Green is good. Here’s what you’ll be looking for.

Raymond Slingerland
    Participant

yanmar or cummins

Now I find there was a valve issue with the 6LP series. Have to find SN of engines involved. It it isn’t one thing it is another, because that is engine with the HP range likely to find in my boat search.

Raymond Slingerland
    Participant

yanmar or cummins

Rob, great answer, will consider boats with Yanmars along the guidance lines you noted. The irony of situation is, if I hadn’t done an oil analysis, I would own a boat. I know the oil analysis argument, but that it was done, is something I can’t ignore and I haven’t found a solution with acceptable risk for me.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

To answer Tony’s question, and Ray please correct me if I am wrong, this is part of boat shopping for that next boat, not repowering.

Ray the emphasis you put on support is very important. With technical forums available and even the option to take it a step further with one-on-one paid consulting there is more ability than ever to be a DIY owner but the need for local support cannot be overlooked..

To answer your question – yes the Yanmar 6LP (300/315) and the 6LY (350/370) are both great engines with great track records but like ALL others they need to be protected from marine age, poor exhaust design and overloading (over-propping). Cost to maintain? – Yes parts are more pricey but that should not be the main factor to steer you in either direction as I’d rather pay for higher priced parts to maintain a couple of cherry Yanmars than to squeeze more life out of a couple of beat Cummins… The Yanmars come with a good OEM alarm package that the mechanical Cummins certainly lack from the factory. And do take into account that certain engines fit better in certain boats as to exhaust design and access to maintenance items.

Not sure if I really answered your question but hope this helps. I guess it comes down to a couple of important variables as to your level of DIY and that local support, or lack thereof..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Raymond,

Simple question here but it eludes me in your post—————————

Are you looking for a used boats with one of these makes of engines, or are you looking to REPOWER an existing boat with one of these makes of engine…………Big difference..

Tony

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.