• Creator
    Topic

john plachtyna
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Sealevel
    Engines: Yanmar 6LPA-STP

I would like to service my Yanmar 6PLA Intercooler this off season. I believe I am familiar with the process from diagrams and info on your site. Can you describe how to pressure test it after servicing? Pressure amount and how long? Thanks for any advice.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

john plachtyna
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Sealevel
    Engines: Yanmar 6LPA-STP

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I assumed after reassembly you would pressure test the unit as a whole. I understand some creativity is necessary to seal off the air or water ends.

I was not aware that the core could also be tested separately, although this would not test the gasket seals also?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Cap off the seawater inlet and exits at the end caps and install a pressure gauge with a schrader valve in the 1/2″ zinc port.

Here’s a pressure gauge w/schrader valve that I used to measure seawater back-pressure on a 6LP recently. This would work for you. I used this same gauge unit to pressure test the Cummins aftercooler that is why the schrader happened to be there, it served no purpose for the seawater back-pressure test I was doing on this 6LP in this pic.

And if you find she is not holding pressure you can dunk the entire unit and see if it it is one of your connections.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Yanmar 6LPA Aftercooler Servicing

About all I could offer would be to post good pics during your “servicing process” and after it’s all back together, we’ll come up with a plan as to putting about 15-20 PSI of air on the air side or seawater side based on how cleaver you are sealing off the other side. That may be a challenge.. I’d be just pressure testing the core if I thought is was suspect.

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.