• Creator
    Topic

Shawn Keulen
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Breezy 1
    Engines: Cummins M2 420

Looking at a Luhrs that has Yanmar 6CXM-GTE2 motors. Boat is freshwater and low hours..Any input on these motors? Currently run C series Cummins with the Denso pump in a Tiara.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Good /strong base engine with a very complex Yanmar aftercooler/cooling system.. If it was a saltwater boat, I would walk as the parts in the cooling system are crazy $$.. If I remember correctly, the engine has like 12 zincs and all are proprietary Yanmar? Dry turbo (don’y really like that like) and the seawater pump drive has had issues to where the most of the front of the engine needs to tore down to get to it. I know of 2 of these that had this happen, which means there are more out there.

The engine came and went away in just 2-3 yrs max, so the population is very low which tents to make support iffy.

If I had a choice, I’d go with a 450 Diamond in the same boat.. But as Rob said, fresh water is a major plus.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

That all sounds good Shawn. That’s enough hours that she was not just a dock queen. I would speak to the local Yanmar dealer as to how these engines are parts-wise. A big plus that it was a friend’s boat so you know the history, etc etc.

Shawn Keulen
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Breezy 1
    Engines: Cummins M2 420

Thanks for the reply. I know the service of the engines since its actually a friends boat. Boat has 1200 hours which to me is low hours. We actually have better Yanmar support in our area than we do Cummins for some reason.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Freshwater – big plus.

Low hours – that usually throws a flag up to me of a mediocre service regimen / history.

Those Yanmars do have a good track record but I would definitely start by speaking to whomever you will be relying on locally to provide you the service and the parts support as this will be WAY different than your experience with the C-series Cummins.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.