• Creator
    Topic

Joseph Sesack
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hey Jose
    Engines: Yanmar 4LH

Good afternoon gents and thanks for the box of goodies I purchased in August.(Engine alarms and fuel filtration kits) I sucked up debris into my poorly designed intake(Mainship Pilot 34′) and had an overheat back in May. I corrected the intake problem and the engine ran fine all year. Last week while trying to start stbd. engine, it would not start. I figured low battery, went away for a week and checked it yesterday and same situation. I tried jumping battery. I tested voltage drop on start and had only 1 volt drop. I ran out of time and could not bar the engine over but I am thinking the worst because coolant is low. Ok. whats my next move if engine cannot be barred over? Thanks, Joe.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Joseph Sesack
    Participant

Injectors out. No signs of moisture in cylinders.

Joseph Sesack
    Participant

Ok here we go. Engine bars over although Iā€™m not convinced it as easy as port side. No water in oil. Minor rust in mixing elbow. Exhaust is 1 1/2 feet above water. No offshore fishing. Wine and cheese only here. All else looks dry. Holding off on pulling injectors until I hear back. Thanks to all. Joe.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1———Good Pictures of your exhaust–NOW– a few minute to do

#2———Remove the riser and post a good picture inside the exhaust outlet—–NOW .. Maybe 15 minutes to do——- IF you see any signs of current water –go to #3 NOW

#3——–If there is even a slightest chance of water in the cylinders, remove the 4 injectors –NOW

#4——–Bar the engine over- ( do not use the starter motor yet) -dump at least 3-4 ounces of WD-40 or something similar (even #2 diesel is OK at this point) into each cylinder and bar over.

#5– Check your engine oil NOW — before you crank the engine– If it is HIGH or you suspect any water is in it, drain it all.. You do not want to mix water into the oil by cranking–the water will be at the bottom on the oil pan and come out 1st. . Then, New filter with new oil topped off, and new oil in the pan

REPORT BACK.

NOTE: Be sure to follow this in sequence and HURRY. The more time with water in the cylinder, the less change your engine will survive this .. Mainship exhaust design has always been marginal.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I ran out of time and could not bar the engine over

Does that mean you did not have the time to try? Or you tried, could not bar it over, and then ran out of time?

If you think there is coolant in the cylinders and you can not bar the engine over pull the injectors and try again.

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

how did you try to bar the engine over? I’ve used the alternator nut in the past.

Do you have a picture of the exhaust design?

D

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.