• Creator
    Topic

JEROLD MARMER
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Forever
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA8-3

is it ok to use a winterizing anti freeze that has alcohol in it in a 6cta-8 engine

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

If you can drain the water from the coolers first (remove zincs and reinstall) and drain your mufflers then you don’t have to worry about any dilution issues and you will use less. Depending on you setup 6 gallons should be more than enough to ensure a solid pink out the back. Here’s 6 gallons ran through my 6BTA’s. I do pull the zincs to drain the seawater so the engine is getting straight pink as soon as she fires and pulls it in. No muffler drains but I do have the lift operator hold her bow high on lift out to drain as much from the wet exhaust as possible that’s why in the second video there’s no water or pink flow initially and there is a little water and dilution that first comes through when I first fire her up but then she goes solid pink quickly. I do check the residual with a refractometer when done to ensure zero dilution. Could probably get away with a gallon or two less but for something I do once a year I just let it be… I’ll save the $8 somewhere else…

In it goes:

https://youtu.be/3UGCIMAR-nk

Out it comes:

https://youtu.be/fyQ71gC8kHU

JEROLD MARMER
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Forever
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA8-3

Quantity of anti freeze

I am new to this engine any idea what quantity of anti freeze it takes to winterize this engine?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

No, should be the PG based non-tox antifreeze. The cheaper alcohol based products say right on the label that they are not recommend for engines – they have no corrosion inhibitors are reportedly not good for hoses, gaskets etc. For a couple dollars a gallon difference why bother…….

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.