• Creator
    Topic

Keith Callaghan
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 36 Seahorse Sundeck - "Willkris"
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA - 270

Hello All,

I have a 6BTA 5.9 270HP JWAC and am trying to identify the wet elbow part number to buy. The cummins quickserve site lists the part as 3914717. But here at Seaboard online store it lists the 6BTA elbow as part number 3919373.. Has one number been superceded by the other?? What is the correct number. IF the correct one is 3914717, I do not see it for sale?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Keith

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

HI Keith

haha – yes I know what you mean – its not much better here in Aus!

Gravity is good but how much height is between muffler water level / boat waterline / turbo? If you have enough height you could easily design something that fits where the cummins elbow is and exits at around the same place or close enough to connect to the exhaust?

You could always ‘fabricate’ something out of plastic pipe and get the local fabrication guys to knock it together.

Alternatively there are some off the shelf cummins elbow replacements over here in Perth that are a direct fit where the cummins elbows were, cheaper than the price of the cummins parts by a long way and safer than the cummins ones as they arent jacketed. I’m not sure if buying from Aus or SBmar would be cheaper for you in Thailand?

Steve

Keith Callaghan
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 36 Seahorse Sundeck - "Willkris"
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA - 270

Steve,

Thanks. Yes, I have read Tony’s tips in just about every aspect so I know the exhaust systems ones quite well. I was lucky enough that the person that built the boat has the wet exhaust oriented so that gravity can do it’s job and water does not sit in the elbow, atleast. They could have done much more given height clearance available. Even if it is the stock design elbow from Cummins
    I live in Thailand and it just scares the heck out of me to even allow the “mechanics” around here design me a better exhaust. I worry when I see them just trying to change oil…. and needing my tools to do the job…..

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

HI Keith

I may be mistaken – but there are 2 types a 5″ and a 6″ I think the 6″ is common which is the part number referenced on SBMar…

I would advise you to avoid buying them. I managed to get 2 for cheap.. around 900aud each – the list price is 6500aud! If i hadnt got them cheap then I would have gone custom – this was a short term fix until all is sorted on my boat then I will be going custom also to get more height for safety of the turbo.

I would advise something custom made – as its likely to be cheaper than the standard elbow. The standard also dont last too long and depending on how your exhaust is configured, could cause catastrophic damage to the turbo, engine etc when they do fail. If you havent its worth absorbing the info below..

https://www.sbmar.com/category/articles/exhaust-systems/

Its also worth throwing up some decent pictures of your engine room and system so that the clever guys on here can advise what you could do..

Steve

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.