• Creator
    Topic

Rainer Schöttler
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Blenny
    Engines: 2 Cummins 6BTA

Hello together, i buyed in april 2018 this boat and did maintance. The aftercooler in Tony´s way include pressure test, it was dry and good. Then inspecting the turbo, he has seen water, inside and outside ! The heatexchanger, I figured out, had an break inside. The hose had 5 mm rust inside. I did a trip, ½ hour, the engine was running fine.
    Now I was back and had a mechanic. He opened the cap near serialnr and it has a bit water. Then he removed the injectors and did a turn to the engine. From Cylinder 3 came water. That´s the problem !

What I know is, the engine was overheated in 2015 and had new cylinderblock.
    What we plan to do is:
    1. Change the gasket exhaust to turbo.
    2. remove the exhaust manifold.
    Has anyone better idea ?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Build a PROPER exhaust riser.. Do some reading on this web site as to what that means. Tony

Rainer Schöttler
    Participant

That sounds bad !

So what is done: new engine ( broken), new exaust manifold (craked), new turbo,
    new heatexchanger ( leaking inside) and new exhaust riser( bad leaking) ( both engines ),
    aftercooler checked.

What do you think, must be done ?

Rainer

Tony Athens

100% wrong as to the root cause……………Your exhaust system has been eating salt water for years……….Everything else is secondary.

If you have a mechanic that cannot recognize that, I’d looking elsewhere..

Put is back together with your current exhaust design and you’ll right back where you are now in a short time..

Simply amazing..

Tony

Rainer Schöttler
    Participant

Now it´s done, the new Engine is installed and everthing is fine.
    The issue was a Crack in Exhaust manifold.

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Reman time

Rainer Schöttler
    Participant

…and the last one´s

Rainer Schöttler
    Participant

more pics

Rainer Schöttler
    Participant

So, i was back on boat. Meantime the mechanic found water in oil, change the Turbo and let the engine run to see what happens with water in oil. After a time it sounds bad. Then they opend the engine to see whats wrong.
    The end of song is a capital Motor damage. See pic´s
    At time we diddn´t find the way of the water in engine. Can you see anything ?
    Makes it sense to repair the engine ?

Rainer

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Water follow unpredictable paths especially in rocking boats…. easy for the riser to rot (especially the factory one that’s history proven to fail) and the water fill a single cylinder

Rainer Schöttler
    Participant

true, the problem is on the port machine. the 2 pictures are from the stb machine, because I’m back in 2 months on board and have no better pictures at home. the installation is the same, only the exhaust pipe is just to the other side. And right, it is a closed coupled V-drive with Hurth HSW 800 V.
    But I ask myself the following, if water is only in cylinder 3, then there can not be so many possibilities?

Tony Athens

Seems like the pics show 2 different turbos? Is this a V-drive install?

Yes, as Rob noted, we need way better pics showing all–clear and in-focus–Not so close up– need to see things in perspective to all the rest around & about the engine.

Tony

Rainer Schöttler
    Participant

Ok, at time, i am 1000 miles away from the boat. I send a pic from the stb engine exhaust/turbo to see installing. The outside water problem of the port turbo was the exhaust hose above, who was leaking. Meantime i changed the broken heatexchanger and yes i lost coolant, and when i drained it, it was grey colored. A new turbo ins on the way. The aftercooler presure was testet after maintance. Running engine with removed airhorn, i didn´t and i don´t know what it means. And the coolant side isn´t at time pressure tested.
    The enigine oil looks good at time, but i think the old owner did it shortly new, so it looks brand new.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

A better idea would be to post mch better pictures, especially including the turbo with the elbow/exhaust as originally installed. If the elbow is off send good pics of the elbow, exterior & interior. Then put it back together, just a bolt or two and get good pics of all as installed. From the look off that one overhead shot I it’s probably an inverted (doomed to fail) OEM mixer that has rusted through. Also send some good pics of the engine area from further away, want to see what “outside” water could be getting to the turbo. From what little I can see the turbo is tucked away in a confined location, not under the wet deck?…

Was the aftercooler pressure tested as an assembly after it was put back together? Have you run the engine with the air horn removed to verify no water or misting?

Any blackness color (soot) in the coolant?

Are you losing coolant?

Has any coolant side pressure tests been performed?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.