• Creator
    Topic

Scott Lambert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Old Man River
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9

I have attached a photo of my vessel view display looking pretty sick. It is just showing horizontal white lines across the screen. Any one seen this before? Could it be a connection or will it need replacing? I have unplugged the connections on the back which has made no difference.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Scott Lambert
    Participant

SMX up and running

I have attached photos of SMX up and running, very happy! I have also attached a photo of the old smart craft wiring. As Corey says, one of the benefits of this system is its simplicity. The space under my helm station used to be a mess of tangled wires, now it is relatively simple and uncluttered.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Scott Lambert
    Participant

SMX Winner

Just took my new SMX SeaView display out to the boat for a test fitting. I had to look up the Glenndinning installation manual to get the throttle connected, once that was done I had the system up and running. Didn’t even need to hassle Corey. I have attached a photo of the display with the engine running, now all I need to do is fit the display properly and run the wiring. Haven’t use it in anger yet but so far I am really happy. The display looks great and is really simple and couldn’t be easier to fit.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

You have a SmartCraft v1.0…. easy peezy. Let me know when you’re ready and we’ll get you squared away… you will be happy.

Scott Lambert
    Participant

HI again, taken a while but I have finally finished dithering and have decided to upgrade to SMX. I have attached photos of my ECM which I am 99% certain is a smart craft V1.0. I have circled the 40 pin connector in red which is where the SMX harness will connect to the ECM. Please let me know if I am wrong. I just need to double check the length of extension harness I need and I will place the order. Be ready for dumb questions!

Scott Lambert
    Participant

Hi Corey, no, been busy with work and haven’t the time or brain space. I have analog instruments and a smart tacho fitted, (picture attached) so I still have most of the info i need to run the boat. I was wondering if I upgrade to SMX will the analog instruments/smart tach still work?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

Scott, just checking in with you to see if you have an update?

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Let us know which way yo go. I am thinking about moving to SMx from vv4

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

Scott, yes the SMX system displays everything you had before… basically everything the engine computer outputs, is accessible to you including all faults, ect.

I sent you a PM regarding something i’d like to try to get your VV to work before we go any further to potentially replace the system…

Scott Lambert
    Participant

If you look closely at the photo of the screen you see fine white horizontal lines. That’s all I get. So screen itself is OK and obviously powered.
    If I go with SMX will it display everything the smartcraft does, eg engine fault codes, % load, throttle position etc?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

Options…

That VV 1.5 screen has been obsolete for a while but you can find replacements every now and then on eBay if you’re looking for a quick solution.

However, before buying anything, can you get anything at all to come up on the screen or does it appear to be completely dead?

If the screen is dead dead, then you can either buy a current version on eBay, or upgrade to either the VV403 or VV 7 and stick with the SmartCraft stuff.

If you want to ditch Mercury and go J1939, then you can throw all that stuff away and go with our SeaView J1939 displays… the real value in this system is simplicity.

https://www.sbmar.com/product/cummins-smartcraft-vesselview-403-upgrade-kit/

https://www.sbmar.com/product/cummins-smartcraft-vesselview-7-upgrade-kit/

https://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-seaview-j1939-digital-display-kit/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-vesselview-5-display-mercury-8m0029457-cummins-4939835-software-3-15-089/302768555833?hash=item467e698739:g:i5cAAOSwQm9Zxs1Y

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Get with Corey and Tony. SMX guages are the way to go. Those screens you have are known to fail. Let us know how it goes as I would like to get them as well. Currently running vv4 for both motors. It’s painful.

Scott Lambert
    Participant

I forgot to say my engine is a QSB 5.9 380hp. Also, I have read the bit under Tony’s Tips, Instruments, suggesting the system could be replaced with something better. Any info/suggestions would be appreciated.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.