• Creator
    Topic

Peter Abbott
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Some Lucky
    Engines: Cummins B 5.9

I have a twin disc MG 5050SC attached to a Cummins 270B in a Nordic Tug. The transmission has been in service for 13 years/3000 hours, and recently developed a leak/small drip from the gasket between the oil pump and the transmission. I have replaced the gasket without effect, even trying various gasket sealers. The leak appears to occur, or get worse, when the transmission is engaged. There is no evidence of cracking on the pump or transmission attachment pad. I am beginning to think that the leak is pressure related and that I may have an issue with the pump shaft seal or the transmission control valve allowing pressurized oil into the cavities between the pump and transmission. Any thoughts?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Peter,

Glad you stuck with it & followed thru…………………………..I’m especially glad all is solved..

YA DONE A VERY GOOD JOB!

Tony

Peter Abbott
    Participant

Resolved

The pump had a manufacturing defect that was resolved in the machine shop. That, and the anaerobic sealant have stopped the leak

Peter Abbott
    Participant

Tony – Thanks for weighing in on this one. I have taken the pump to a machine shop to have the gasket surface measured and resurfaced. It was up to .010 off slope on one side, so I am hoping that this manufacturing defect was the root cause. I am awaiting gaskets now and will use the anaerobic sealant as recommended. I should also report that the Twin Disc service rep has been responsive and helpful in this matter. I will enter another post once this is back together and not leaking any more. Thanks again.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

This sounds like the pump may be as you described, but you may try this if you have not already done so.. New gaskets as needed, all 100% dry and clean and use an ANEROIBIC type sealant..

Maybe 510 ?..

Tony

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.