• Creator
    Topic

Eric Sinner
    Participant

I have been reading over this website for a very long time now. I bought a ’76 25′ inboard Sea Vee and decided to do a ground up restoration with a cummins diesel based on the information avail on this website. With my lack of knowledge, the process has been slow but I would like to do it right the first time around. I am now in the stages of getting to the engine bed and gear mounting positions. There is very limited information on a twin disc and 6bt combo. I have a twin disc readily avail at an insanely good price but I notice that most people are going with the ZF220. I found that the gear will mount with SAE #3 housing fine but there may be small modifications to the starter ring? I haven’t seen any other mods needed. Just wondering if this is correct? What are the advantages besides price and weight diff in the two gears? Prop is an 18×21.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Eric Sinner
    Participant

I appreciate passing on the knowledge and the attachments!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Normally in a vessel like yours, you would use a ZF220A. Ratio will be determined by the prop diameter………………What with be the Engine CPL is the engine being built to you are getting–That will determine the real usuable HP & proper RPM for “propping purposes” ..

You can use the attached drawing to get the “critical dimensions”. Plan ahead but leaving plenty of room around the turbo so you can build a SAFE exhaust. Don’t do what Albin does ……………………. If you are doing new stringers, set them at not less than 27″ finished ID with 28-30″ ID best.. Makes mounting so much easier..

Tony

Eric Sinner
    Participant

I have seen the gear and just based off the little info I have found, the chances of it being a good fit for the boat was slim. It’s going to be a 6bt 315/330 p-pump and will be reconditioned from a local shop here in South Fl. The cummins recon program is a little too expensive for me. Yes, will be an inline drive. I can send you pics of the progress, although, it’s still a little early. I need to locate a gear to start mocking up the motor bed and stringers. If you can send me an e-mail, I would be more than happy to send you pictures. Thanks in advance!
    Eric Sinner

Tony Athens

Forgot to ask–Is this a 6BT 5.9 210/220, or ? Used, new, or ??

Tony

Tony Athens

Have you looked at the specs and a drawing of the MG5061A? Trust me, not for your boat regardless of the gear quality, ratings, or $$..

Are you going with an inline drive? Got any pics or drawing of the project?

Tony

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.