• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Dan.
  • Creator
    Topic

Dan
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins

In the lead up to hauling my boat Ive been chipping away at my riser to turbo bolts for six months,they have been on there since new in 06, with a bit of heat,lube some slight tapping , elbow grease and patience one by one they have come free except for one (on the bottom with very limited access)

The boat came out of the water on Monday and I took both turbos and risers off, put a little heat on the last stuck bolt and it came free with some channel locks.

Attached are some pics of my turbo’s, and one end of one HX, can I get some input as to there condition,nothing has ever been removed from either engine since new.

The HX looks great to me apart from some wayward zinc pieces ,have I disturbed anything (the O ring by pulling the end cap off?) If need be I can slide the core out of the HX housing and replace the seals, the other engine not so easy, I haven’t taken that end cap off yet.

Part of the reason for doing all this was both engines where losing a very slight amount of coolant over time ,one gasket it was clearly evident the coolant was being lost to the exhaust.

Motors are 4bta’s,I see two gaskets available for the water cover to manifold on SB products,what is the preferred gasket? Same question for the turbo to riser gasket

Im sure there will be more as I dig into this…

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dan
    Participant

Hi Tom thanks for your input,

I haven’t done anything with it all yet, just gathering options and looking at the ‘evidence’.

I will pressure test the risers before I do anything, I assumed if they did fail the way they where orientated they would only leak down the exhaust,I have been told there is a possibility if they failed right up next to the turbo they could indeed leak water into the turbo at low speed, and that where 90% of my usage is.

Once Ive got gathered all the facts as to whether it was risers, exhaust height or desghn of the exhaust or a combination of all three I will hopefully get a solution.

Im Ok with putting new risers on it regardless of whether they pass a pressure test, just want to totally access whats going on and fix the exhaust (all of it) in one repair.

Doing some rough measurments today I can not meet the “standard” requirements for a lift muffler solution.

firehoser75
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA M3-330 HP

Exhaust Mixing Elbows

Hi Dan,
    Prior to the summer of 2017, my boat had an exhaust elbow that looked like yours (original Cummins parts). My elbow had failed and the exhaust gases were not mixing correctly with the injected cooling water resulting in my “rubber” exhaust hose “overheating”. The places where the corrosion had “rusted right through” were not evident until the elbow was sent to a radiator shop and totally “cleaned up”. Luckily I caught this in time due to having installed an exhaust hose overheat alarm (a great investment in my opinion).
    What I think Tony is talking about is this issue, as when these elbows fail (and they all eventually do) raw water can be ingested by the turbo (as yours has) and even worse, the water can possibly enter the engine.
    To ensure that the possibility of this “water intrusion” is reduced or eliminated, you will need new “custom designed” exhaust elbows. Just replacing the old ones (which looks like these elbows are shot) with the same, may not solve this problem or at best, will only delay it from reoccurring.
    As to what can be done in your situation (ER layout and room to have the elbow raise above the turbo, I can’t tell and I certainly leave that to your providing the necessary measurements to the experts on here.
    If I were you, I would contact Tony (or another recommended marine exhaust expert closer to home if that works better for you) for advice and pricing.
    Good luck,
    Tom

Dan
    Participant

An update to my dilemma, It looks like I can fit lift mufflers into this boat (have to perform open heart surgery to make room) before I dig further into this I would appreciate some input.

The existing mufflers…no way I can get to them without cutting a hole in the deck or cutting out bulkheads to get them out.

Lift mufflers + the existing mufflers and back pressure…..

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dan
    Participant

I really hate to say this, but your turbo in the picture has eaten saltwater is the past for years.. It’s your call if you want to remove that possibility in the future,,

Tony

I knew that was coming…problem is what to do about it – the HX to riser raw water hose is touching the top of the hatch now on both engines (you can see the port engine HX to riser hose is flattened from this) and its all downhill to the exhaust outlet on the side of the boat (its a short run) and theres no room to get creative with a lift style muffler.

Ive taken the exhaust hose off the starboard motor with the boat in the water and looked down into the muffler and water doesn’t come past the muffler when the boat is at rest. (circled in grainy pic) I will get some exact measurements of the drop from the turbo to waterline today.

Apart from the obvious both turbo’s are thick with soot

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I really hate to say this, but your turbo in the picture has eaten saltwater in the past for years.. It’s your call if you want to remove that possibility in the future,,

Tony

David Manning
    Participant

Thanks Dan for sharing I’m new to Diesel engines and having similar problems with loosing coolant boat is 2008 retirement project when back in Boston I’ll be happy with replacing corroded parts.

In the lead up to hauling my boat Ive been chipping away at my riser to turbo bolts for six months,they have been on there since new in 06, with a bit of heat,lube some slight tapping , elbow grease and patience one by one they have come free except for one (on the bottom with very limited access)

The boat came out of the water on Monday and I took both turbos and risers off, put a little heat on the last stuck bolt and it came free with some channel locks.

Attached are some pics of my turbo’s, and one end of one HX, can I get some input as to there condition,nothing has ever been removed from either engine since new.

The HX looks great to me apart from some wayward zinc pieces ,have I disturbed anything (the O ring by pulling the end cap off?) If need be I can slide the core out of the HX housing and replace the seals, the other engine not so easy, I haven’t taken that end cap off yet.

Part of the reason for doing all this was both engines where losing a very slight amount of coolant over time ,one gasket it was clearly evident the coolant was being lost to the exhaust.

Motors are 4bta’s,I see two gaskets available for the water cover to manifold on SB products,what is the preferred gasket? Same question for the turbo to riser gasket

Im sure there will be more as I dig into this…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.