• Creator
    Topic

Anthoni Lightbourne Waypoint Bda
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Carolyn
    Engines: QSB Cummins 5.9

Hi everyone. Every year I’m having to change these damper plates. I’ve come to the conclusion that these gears are too light for my application on a QSB 5.9 with max RPM 2650 on my boat.

Are there a heavier duty plates available or should i have to upgrade to a heavier duyy trans like the 5075? Attached is a pic of my recent change of plate. 1.72:1 reduction

How do the ZF boxes compare to the TD?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Participant

Good Day guys,

Just thought I’d resurrect this post. We’ve tried the Vulkan torsion coupler which is said to be far better than the rest stated.
    However we get a deep rattle noise when installed. So I’m looking for a heavier duty CFR 178 coupling rubbers.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Anthoni

Participant

Hello Tony. Thanks very much. Secured funding with management.
    Where can I purchase the CF-R 178 series coupling for my Cummins QSB 5.9?
    We are ready to purchase and install and I would like to call you and have a chat.

Thanks
    Anthoni

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

If you can can get the CFR 178 couplings, they are much better than what you have.. Also, they may offer to different type of rubber rollers for it.. A standard one and a harder one..

You got to “flip a coin” on that one, but for sure they are better the the CF-DS junk you started with.

Tony

Participant

Hello Tony. Totally understand what you are saying and understand what part you are referring to as I have changed a few in the past.
    I was just posting my serial tags so that you all have an idea of what engine I am using to gain knowledge of the torque I am working with.
    No I’m not an engineer, but I would like for someone to guide me in the right direction on purchasing two new style torsional couplings.
    Are the ones stated in the precious post good for my application? Just want to be 100% before I pay $1400 for a pair.
    No disrespect to anyone and I appreciate all the help and knowledge. Hence the reason for joining this forum.

Thanks

Tony Athens

Anthoni,

I think you did not get what I was saying……………………….

This is not and engine or a gear issue.. This is an issue with the TORSIONAL COUPLING that PHYSICALLY inter- connects the engine to the gear……………

You either need a new coupling (probably not a good idea to stay w/ the same model/size) , but a DIFFERENT make or type/rating of a coupling more suited to YOUR APPLICATION……

In simple terms, you need a torsional coupling that is MUCH STRONGER, although this type of language language will not transfer to an engineer that works for the company that makes these types of couplings,,,,,,,..

They ( the engineers) are all in a “Algebraic” or some type “mathematical Box” so to say, and they cannot see what actually goes on the field applications…….Know the saying- “Cannot see the forest for the trees”—Well, you now have the real answer…………..

Tony

Participant

Hello guys. Ready to purchase new dampers for my motor. Just want to run my serial tags of the engine and trans before I purchase.
    Thanks for all your help.

Participant

Thank you very much my friends. Ā I will look into this ASAP. I really appreciate your help and input.

Any distributors in the Lauderdale area for thisĀ Centa CF-R coupling?Ā 

Greatly appreciatedĀ 

Tony Athens

The MG 5065 is a decent gear, but far from exceptional.. Your current issue is NOT the gear, it is the torsional couplings that really has nothing to do with your gear quality…………………..Maybe I did not explain my post well————–It’s the coupling that needs to be upgraded, not necessarily the gear at this point in time.. Ā  Look at the attached picture–This is what a Centa CF-R coupling looks like for your EXACT gear–This coupling is Ā at 7 years /18000+ Hours and still in ONE piece.. Tony Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.

Participant

Yeah i heard theyre a POS boxes. I really want to upgrade to a better trans. Unfortunately we don’t have a dealer here for any transmissions.Ā 

I run a water taxi/ferry which has a top speed of 25 kts and would like to upgrade to a heavier duty gear.

Centa CF-R 178 series…is this a TD or ZF? How much am i looking at?

Tony Athens

Welcome to the world of “Monkey Motion” torsional couplings.. You have a Centa CF-DS Ā 30 or 40 unit which is at the worst of them all.. Because you have a Twin Disc gear, you have to deal with your locall TD distributor Ā as they are all proprietary for Twin Disc and made specifically for Twin Disc..

As much as I hate to say this, you are stuck with there sales people and “couch engineers” that you will need to contact as to an possible Ā “upgrade”….Depending the the EXACT BOM on the data tag of your gear, Ā you may get lucky and has an upgrade available like to a Centa CF-R 178 series—————A 100% + tougher “Monkey Motions” unit..

Yes, what you have is a total Ā POS..

Tony

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.