• Creator
    Topic

Lawrence Downs
    Participant

I just reinstalled my port engine after de rusting and new paint. (370 B 5.9 M3). ZF 220A transmission)).

Re connected the DC wiring. I have 12 v at the starter, but the starter won’t engage when the key is turned. No noise, no clicking, silence. All the gauges come up in the key on position, voltage, fuel etc. Thinking I am missing a connection somewhere. Not sure if 220A’s have a safety switch that needs to be connected. I plan to disconnect all the wiring to the starter tomorrow and start over. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Good news, thanks for posting the resolution. The more you continue to learn about all of the equipment aboard is always quite valuable going forward…

Lawrence Downs
    Participant

Issue solved

Just to close the loop. Turns out Ian C. ‘s the winner! Morse control head has a mechanism that that serves as the NSS. It was stuck. Now freed up and lubricated the starter cranks over.

After removing the engine, servicing all the outboard plumbing, pumps, fuel lines etc and re designing the engine beds and all that goes with that, the last thing turns out to be something I never touched. I was sure I missed tagging something or reconnected the wiring wrong. Hopefully back in the water tomorrow.

Lawrence Downs
    Participant

Control head

Well after tracking this down a bit more yesterday it seems my Morse control head does have a safety switch. I will be efforting that later this week. I did not disassemble the control head when I removed the port engine. I was focused on the re wiring. I tagged and zip tied the connections to the starter so I thought I had it back together properly. Maybe when I disconnected the transmission cableing I messed up something in the control?

Lawrence Downs
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I was working under the assumption that 220A did not have a safety switch so thanks for clarifying Rob. I will look at it again today and post some pics of my wiring if I don’t figure it out. Thanks again.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

ZF220A – Neutral Safety…

The 220A’s would not contain the neutral safety switch.

Ian C
    Participant

No crank issue.

The first thing that springs to mind is the neutral safety switch. Normally, that is a switch on the reduction gear with two wires from the engine wiring harness running to it. In gear the switch is open, preventing the starter from getting the crank signal from the key switch. In some boats the nuetral switch is on the remote controls, usually it’s a yellow wire with a red tracer at the helm.

Lawrence Downs
    Participant

This is the starter I have

B-Series, 2-bolt Cummins Starter

I don’t have a wiring diagram for it tho.

Lawrence Downs
    Participant

This is the starter I have

B-Series, 2-bolt Cummins Starter

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.