• Creator
    Topic

Mike Schmidt
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 330hp

I read the article on fuel solenoid troubleshooting, and there are a couple things that aren’t clear to me:

1) It says to move the solenoid fuel arm to the top and then zip tie it for the test. So, does that mean you zip tie it when the engine’s off… then start it up and the engine will function normally from idle all the way to WOT? I guess what I’m looking for is confirmation that the fully retracted/zip tied arm position is mimicking the exact position that the arm should be in from the time the boat is started until it is shut down.

2) If the solenoid is in fact out of adjustment, then how do you adjust it?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Mike, yes the fuel solenoid manages the travel of the fuel lever (which allows fuel to pass through into the pump). If you zip tie the lever in the fully UP position, you will be able to start and run the engine from idle through WOT. Only way to stop the engine at that point is to cut the zip tie, obviously.

If the solenoid is not lifting the lever to full open, odds are either its corroded or just DONE. Either way it will probably need to be replaced in that case.

Some solenoids have a threaded ball joint end that does have some adjustment if the clearances are nominal.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.