• Creator
    Topic

MATTHEW SCOTT WARD
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Two Tickets
    Engines: 6cta

I have a pair of SMX1730 pumps I’m replacing the impellers in. The old impeller came out pretty easy, but I’m having trouble getting the new impeller in. Is there a secret to compressing the tabs enough to get them in the housing?

Thanks,
    Scott

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Thanks for the advice. Due to limited space, Iā€™ll give the zip tie method a try.

Thanks!

Scott

Try to take some pics while you’re at it and post them here. Always helpful to others..

MATTHEW SCOTT WARD
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Two Tickets
    Engines: 6cta

Thanks for the advice. Due to limited space, I’ll give the zip tie method a try.

Thanks!
    Scott

Roger Franklin Williams
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Sunlizard
    Engines: Cummins 5.9B

Pump impeller replacement

Scott I have done a number of these also. I use a couple of wide wire ties and after getting the impeller started into the housing with lots of grease I cut the wire ties off as needed and push the impeller up into the housing. I find this to be a very easy method. With accessibility old hands and arms this method works best for me.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Impeller Installation–Any type of pump

Add this in addition to the pull ties:…..

Use the palm of your hand and as push hard as needed and twist until it locks into the spline.. Then, keep pushing . It does not matter what way you twist or how the blades end up.. Grease everywhere–Impeller, housing, spline and back plate………… And the type of grease/ “lube” DOES NOT MATTER.. Just use what you have laying around -From Vaseline, to wheel bearing grease, to KY..

Everything else you read that goes against this method is an old-wives’ tale with ZERO credibility..All “that stuff” came from couch engineers that HAVE NEVER worked in the field..That you can take to the bank as green cash $$ !

When you start the engine, all will take care of itself..

Tony

Andre Huizing
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Mr.Bean2
    Engines: QSC8.3 490hp

Hi Scott, I always use a wide tie wrap around the impeller and a lot of grease. When it is in more than 40% you can remove the tie wrap.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.