• Creator
    Topic

Shawn
    Participant

I don’t know if it’s just me but I’ve had 4 or 5 of these fail now on different engines and transmission setups. Maybe I need to replace them as a “maintenance” item every year? Some start to leak out of where the adjustment screw is and this latest one seems to be leaking from the metal area. If for some reason my alarm panel or gauge wasn’t working I probably would have burnt the transmission up and that wouldn’t be cheap. So far I’ve been lucky and there’s been no damage but what happens when I’m not?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Switches

Shawn, when did you purchase those switches from us and about how many did you purchase? The switch in the pics you provided appears to be over 2-3 years old?

Shawn
    Participant

Annnd another one bites the dust…

Shawn
    Participant

Pics

Shawn
    Participant

Well most of the oil leaked out and once that happens the alarm goes off. This is the second one I had fail with me personally while I was Capt the first one leaked out of where you adjust the signal (I believe the others too) and the second one around the crimp I guess it’d be called. I have some pictures, but you can’t really see anything on them. It’s really hard to send them back from here.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Post a good picture of the switch…………Any change of getting a failed switch back? These switches are made domestically by a well recognized company and carry a proof test rating 4X the rating of the gear oil pressure.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Are you speaking of the pressure switches? So they all failed “physically” (as to build quality or something external) and not electrically? How is the panel coming into play as to letting you know you have a leak?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Shawn, we have hundreds of these switches out there and have not heard of any of them leaking… In fact, we’ve spec’d them specifically with SS housings so that they are “overkill” when it comes to pressure ratings, etc….. can you post some pictures of exactly where you’re leaking oil and so we can see exactly which switch you have?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.