• Creator
    Topic

seanabely
    Participant

In pulling out my impeller on an SMX pump for a Cummins 6BTA I noticed this rainbow film attached to the back of the impeller. It turned out to be a small piece of metal lodged in it. Reaching in to the pump I pulled out some other remains of a washer or snap ring? I also grabbed the spring and washer, the washer being noticeably rusty. The pump is in a place where i can not see, so I need to shove a camera somewhat close and take pictures.
    I am hoping someone can give some insight to the metal pieces and if it’s the start of something catastrophic. Where this pump is requires an engine mount to be moved, a magic wand, and a ton of patience.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bradley
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Chauncey
    Engines: 6BTA M3 330hp

unfortunately this exact failure happened to me on both of my SMX pumps and the repair is very simple using the parts and tool sent by Seaboard. The PVC pipe is essentially a ram rod to set the rings that hold in the spring loaded assembly. Surely you can resolve this yourself without taking out the pump.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Look at the attached picture? If you still do not understand, I will set a pump up on the bench and try a do a better job..

Tony

seanabely
    Participant

My question is in which direction does the washer go, against the impeller or raw water pump? Also, 2 snap ring washers were sent, is one a spare?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Phantom 1,

The parts we sent & the tool supplied to install the parts should seem obvious as to how it all goes together.

But I’m open minded here as not all are into this type of mechanical things… ………..

Want to try a “one-on-one” 2-3 minute phone call ? This is really a simple fix..

I’m on S. Calif time..

Tony

Paul Hampton
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Phantom 1
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA-M3

It looks like parts 11 and 12 from the assembly drawing Rob S posted earlier in the thread

Paul

seanabely
    Participant

I received these parts, but without any type of diagram. I tried contacting seaboard without any luck in getting a response. Should the parts go over the shaft like the second pic, and the other snap ring is an extra?

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

Not that this helps you….but failure of a SMX pump is pretty rare. 100’s of SMX pumps out on the water with 10s of thousands of accumulated hrs.

It sounds like taking off the pump requires removing an engine mount…considering all the work involved maybe you might consider bolting on a new mount that gives the pump clearance. Just a thought ?

Sean Abely
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Barnicole
    Engines: Cummins 330 6bta

Seaboard reached out and let me know the problem has happened before. They are sending out a newly designed clip and tool to install (fingers crossed).
    Hopefullly can save what’s left of the season

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Here’s a parts exploded view and a link to the repair/rebuild kit

SMX Seawater Pump Repair/Rebuild Kit

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Water Seal

Those broken parts are from the Water Seal. Looks like a rebuild is in order. Here’s a shot of how it should look at the back of the housing at the shaft.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.