• Creator
    Topic

David Hays
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kinship
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9L-380

Cummins had to replace my QSB 5.9 engine and put a Recon in it this last week. All seems to be fine. They very nicely gave me a version 3 VesselView as I didn’t have one in the boat. We connected it for the sea trial and it all worked fine yesterday. Today, shortly after starting the engine I got the “sim no J39 data” error. When this occurs, don’t get any rpm reading, either on the VesselView or the original tachometer/data display. Likewise, the engine hours reading goes to zero. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes the rpm and engine hours gets displayed just fine then a few minutes later it goes down again with another alarm.

Disconnecting the VesselView solves the problem. It doesn’t matter if the original instruments are connected or not.

Any idea what this problem could be? The VesselView is so much better than what I have that I would love t be able to make it work.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Wayne Spalding
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Nomad

I had this message on one engine yesterday after a complete battery change

Was a blown fuse on the ECM. My engines are near new version 1 reco QSB5.9 380hp.

It turns out there are 4 fuses on each engine, one more than the Cummins guy was expecting.

I’m told his attendance and troubleshooting is not under warranty.

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Will run the boat Thursday and advise. I know I do have the sensors on both gears. I see them on both sides of the gear coolers.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Mike, are you getting gear pressure and temp readings on the display now? If so, what are the values when the alarm is indicating?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

When was the last time the gear cooler was removed, inspected, cleaned, and tested? We know the engine is a Reconn but assume they used the old transmission and cooler.

Have you tried unplugging the harness at the gear temp sender, cleaning both sides with WD-40 and a tooth brush really well and the reconnecting?

You could also swap port and start board gear temp sensors to see if it’s a sensor issue.

Gremlins are a process of elimination so keep after it.

Phil

Mike Mason
    Participant

J39 error message fixed…..but….

The adapter harness seemed to correct the issue. Thanks to Corey and Tony for the support. But….we used to get this “gear temp input hi” message when the key was turned with or without the motors running. Yesterday I got it after running the boat for a while with the family. I am assuming it’s a glitch and will shoot the gears with an ir gun to be sure. Any ideas when this is continuing to pop up?

Mike Mason
    Participant

Adapter harness installed. Thanks Corey and Tony. Ordered it yesterday afternoon, on my porch mid morning today. Killer service.

Will run the boat and advise. Thanks.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

ID

Also, be sure that the VesselView displays are setup with a unique “ID” so that they are not fighting other instances of instrumentation on the boat that may share the same ID… you don’t want your instruments to fight each other… maybe try setting up the display as ID 2 or 3 instead of 1?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Mike Hoffman , AKA “DieselDude” (Cummins in Irvine, Ca) can supply serial numbers…………………..Suggest you unplug every plug / connection on the engine harnessing , spray with WD-40 and replug.. Understand the word EVERY — There are lots of them, some easy and some difficult to get to..

Tony

Mike Mason
    Participant

Thanks Tony. I don’t have much history on the motors. I recently bought the boat (Tiara33) from a guy who originally bought it from the cummins rep in SoCal that did the repower. It used to be named Diesel Dude. There are no serial number tags on the motors. I will look at the paperwork tomorrow and post some pics. Has been flawless for the few months we have had it and we have made some long trips offshore. This issue seemed to correct itself last night after a few hours of motoring.

We came back today at cruises with no issues.

Mike

Tony Athens

How about posting the COMPLETE history of the engine from Day ONE and the engine serial #………..
    Also, GOOD pictures of the ECM side of the engine showing all..

Tony

Mike Mason
    Participant

I am getting this same message on my port engine. Rpms drop an then the error message. Let me know if there is a fix. Mine is on vv4. After a few hours of getting the message it went away.

David Hays
    Participant

Adaptor harness?

In trying to chase down this issue some more, I have seen reference to a “Vessel View Adaptor Harness”. While I haven’t found that it should be required for a Cummins engine, I have seen references that indicate that using it can get rid of the Sim no J39 data gremlin.

I don’t have that harness, only the VesselView harness. Is the Vessel View Adaptor Harness something that can help resolve this issue? If I can find one cheap is it worth a try?

David Hays
    Participant

Well there’s really no reason it shouldn’t work all together but it does sounds like a physical wiring issue to me…

Also, the issues don’t change when you remove the analog style gauges from the arrangement and leave just the VesselView?

Can you post a picture of the display so I can see what version you received?

Thanks Corey, the issues don’t change whether the old gauges are connected or not. With the VesselView connected, all gauges will intermittently lose rpm and engine hour information when the alarm goes off.

Not at the boat so I can’t take a photo but it is the same unit as this photo taken from an sbmar.com article.
    http://www.sbmar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/VesselView-on-Boat-3.jpg

No VIP box in the ER.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

Well there’s really no reason it shouldn’t work all together but it does sounds like a physical wiring issue to me…

Also, the issues don’t change when you remove the analog style gauges from the arrangement and leave just the VesselView?

Can you post a picture of the display so I can see what version you received?

David Hays
    Participant

Does the NEW engine have a NEW SIM?

Corey,

The Cummins recon has its own sim, not the one that was in the engine that was removed. Now, whether it was “new” or not I don’t know. I know some about what Cummins does when they re manufacture an engine but not sure if they replace the sim.

David Hays
    Participant

Sounds like a BAD connect in one of the “TOO MANY” connections in the SMARTCRAP scheme of things… Take every plug apart, spray with WD-40, and re-plug…………..Or, call the Cummins people that did the work & tell them to fix the issue.

Well, the issue there is that the new engine works just great with the existing instrumentation. The only problem comes when I am plugging in the VesselView display (which I didn’t pay for and was given by their sympathetic chief marine tech).

A bad connection sounds reasonable. It worked just fine during the seatrial, so at least a couple hours at the full power range. There are only three plugs that are used in the harness connecting the VesselView. Two on the back of the unit itself and then one connecting to the junction box under the helm.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

Does the NEW engine have a NEW SIM?

Tony Athens

Sounds like a BAD connect in one of the “TOO MANY” connections in the SMARTCRAP scheme of things… Take every plug apart, spray with WD-40, and re-plug…………..Or, call the Cummins people that did the work & tell them to fix the issue.

Tony

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.