• Creator
    Topic

Gordon Lewandowski
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knot Home
    Engines: Twin Cummins 6BTA

We are purchasing a 1998 BL 4788 with an 8KW Westerbeke in a sound shield. The sound shield has the black plastic latches and looks to be of better quality/fit than the ones I’ve seen with metal latches.

I’ve read some posts on the Bayliner Owners Club forum (they REALLY like sbmar!) that reference an exhaust modification and since sbmar is “the” place for marine exhaust work it was recommended that I post here for advice.

We take delivery next week and we will have a number of mechanical services performed. What might you all recommend to tame the savage Westerbeke noise! The sound shield certainly helps, but there must be more that can be done on the exhaust side. Underwater exhaust? Different/improved muffler? Additional sound absorption material around sound shield?

TIA,
    gordon

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

How is the condition of the insulating material within the sound shield unit? Is it dried out and falling apart?

As to exhaust noise, once we see the pics it can be determined if you have the room to make things better…..

Gordon Lewandowski
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knot Home
    Engines: Twin Cummins 6BTA

The smart*ss answer is “stock” – but that’s of no help to anyone is it! ;-=)

We won’t take delivery until next week at which time I will take, and post, some photos. Clearly a picture will be worth more than a thousand words! Thanks for the quick response!

gordon

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

What kind of exhaust do you have now?

Post a few pictures….

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.