• Creator
    Topic

john
    Participant

So my boat will is 39 years old. I’ve developed a problem with the shaft log stuffing box. It’s a buck Algonquin I think or similar. Seems it’s worn over the years and I’m having a issues with the packing material squirting out the front of the shaft log. I really don’t see how it happens as it seems centered. Anyway I’m at odds as to want to put in its place. I have replaced these before on customers boats. Even in the water. Same boat a few years ago wrapped his cooling line up and ripped the boot On his pss dripless and I changed it in the water.

Sooo my question is do I go with dripless or tried and true stuffing box.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Given that it’s 18+++ years old I would replace the short piece of rubber hose as well. Not only can it fail, it can loose its regidity from the weight of the packing, sag, and cause leaks from topside packing wear.

john
    Participant

That is a original shaft. I have owned it for 18 years, Was all previous to me owning it though. Sealing surface is good so that is what matters. The coupling has never been off it to my knowledge also. I do all my own work. I wrote a article on the repower on this boat 13 years ago for boat diesel. Engines are still running great. So do you sell packing glands run in as you say?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

From the little I see, I’d say it’s time for a new bronze packing glad…….Properly set-up, prepacked and run in before to install it, your issues will be history…………..But you also need to ask yourself, why all the nick, dents and “pipe wrench” marks on the shaft? Who has been working on the boat? YARD MONKEYS? No packing will do its job running over a surface like that.

Tony

john
    Participant

Here is what I have. Definite wear on the port vs starboard. I did manage to get it to stop though. I was using the gore type packing material. Switched to the Teflon flax and grease and it’s working good. The gore material is much softer and didn’t like the gap

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Why not post some decent pictures of what you (we) are dealing with.. Have they been neglected and “Marine Age” has finally done the in?

Convention packings, when done right and properly maintained, can be very long term and basically never fail in a way that would cause one to pull a boat. We measure their life in 10000++ hours between major servicing..

As to dripless packings, when installed correctly, they can do a very good job, but thinking they are maintenance free over years of high annual hour use is far from a reality., I base “what type of packing one should have” on the USG Sub-Chapter “T” boats we watch over that run 2000-3500 hours a year, not on boats that sit at the dock 300+ days a year, year in and year out.

Packing a Packing Gland

Everything you Need to Know about Propeller Shaft Packings

Packing Glands & Grease a ‘Winning Combo’

Tony

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.