• Creator
    Topic

Thomas Hale
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tadhana
    Engines: QSB 5.9 230 HO

I have a question which I am sure has been previously asked and answered, but I have searched the forum and not found the discussion. Have a 2009 QSB 5.9 bought new. It now has 4200 hours. With light fuel and water, we get 2660 RPM. Full fuel and water we get 2640 rpm. We cruise at 1620 -1780 rpm. How often and for how long should I run at WOT to ā€œblow outā€ the carbon? In Tonyā€™s tips there are several great articles on engine life and what it takes to have a long running engine. There is a ton of information. But, I could not find any recommendation on when where or how to ā€œblow it out.ā€ It may be essential in some engines and not in others, which is why I ask the question. Two Cummins techs certified to work on these electronically controlled engines and two Cummins reps have said that with the electronically controlled engines the fuel metering is so precise, that it may not be necessary to blow the carbon out. What is your opinion?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Thomas Hale
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tadhana
    Engines: QSB 5.9 230 HO

Cummins Choice

Thank you for your reply. At the time we had the boat built in 2009 I was running a boatyard in VA. It was a service dealer for Cummins, Yamaha, and Volvo. So with that background experience, the choice of Cummins was easy.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

For maintenance reasons and for keeping your oil temperature up be glad you have a coolant cooled oil cooler, not a sea water cooled oil cooler, but there’s reasons you bought a Cummins and not a Volvo or a Yanmarā€¦..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Yes, the electronic engines are way better running at low loads……….But I’d still run it up to 2200 or so for 5 minutes , and then WOT for 30 seconds to a minutes to get things HOT every 25 to 50 hours of running time.. Oil accumulates moisture when it does not get hot..

Take an oil sample if you want so “see” for yourself.. Plus you have 160F stats–That does not help when running so easy..

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.