• Creator
    Topic

Carmen L Spagnolo
    Participant

I’m a new registered user, and I’d like to ask you a few questions and hopefully anyone can be of some help. sbmar website is great btw.

I am interested in a purchase of a 1998 Maxum 4100 SCB, but it has 330hp Cummins 6BTA’s, and I think that is not enough engine for that weight boat. I could be wrong, but while I know some may say buy an express boat if you want something that does around 22knots, but I am leaning towards a Sedan Bridge for the room. Sea Ray doesn’t usually underpower, but I noticed that Maxum, and Meridian always seem to have smaller engines for the same class boat as the Sea Ray. That said, I’m also looking at a 98 Maxum 37 SCR with 330’s which weights almost 10k less if I’m never going to achive 22 or more knots from a Sedan Bridge that I can afford. So my question is what to do and how much $$$ am I looking at to go either 6CTA450C, or QSB5.9 480? Not sure if the engine mounts are the same for the 330 5.9 vs 450 8.3, or similar question for 330 5.9 vs QSB 480 5.9? I guess whichever engine replacement would be less labor and $$$ to put in.

Next question is how does it work that I would have 2 working engines after the swap to either trade or use as cores ? I’ve never done this, so I’m trying to get as much information as possible. I know recon, or even new engines are very expensive so I’m trying to figure out if I can even afford to do something like this. Also, does the fact that the older engines are mechanical, vs QSB electronic make a difference in the repower? Anyone’s thoughts are greatly appreciated. $$$wise what would I be looking at?

Last question has to do with my location and trying to find someone in the NC area, or the eastern seaboard (Mid Atlantic region preferably) that could be someone who is good and reliable for a job like this.

Thanks
    Carmen

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rick Smith
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Namaste'
    Engines: Twin Cummins Diesels 6BTA 5.9 330

Maxum Repower Question

Carmen,

Just as an FYI, I purchased a 2005 Maxum 3700 CY, Twin 6BTA’s 5.9 330hp. Not sure of the weight difference of the 41′ but they have ample power. I cruise at 2400rpm (22mph)

Carmen L Spagnolo
    Participant

Stephen, the one I really wanted that went under contract 3 days before I was going to look at it, had 370’s, and the one that might be my second choice are 330’s. Not saying it’s not true, but I have a friend in NJ who’s buddy just bought a 4100 SCB with 370’s and his cruise is only 17 knots… So while I’d like it to be true, I can’t see one with 330’s doing anything but 15 knots or around there. I’ve been looking at Cruisers 4270’s as well, but can’t find anything other then CAT3116, and from everything I’ve read, I should stay away from that engine. He just flew down to NC to drive the boat back up to NJ and said with 3126/420 CATS, that boat cruised around 28 mph. I’d put up with 17 knots if I can find another clean 4100 SCB with 370’s… I really liked the salon and shape of that boat, and it would suit my needs for a nice live aboard 4 day weekend boat, that would allow me to work on Mon and Fridays on the boat. Cable hookup of course lol…

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

Are they 330’s I just had a quick look and most I could find are 370?

There was also an Aussie review of the boat with 370hp’s and they reckon close to 30knts top speed and 22-24 cruise.. so doesnt seem too under powered.

As a comparison I have a 40 (45ft overall) locally built flybridge weighing in at arounds 11,5 metric tons so similar weight, with a higher (18deg) deadrise and narrower beam by around 1ft – so in theory mine should be harder to get on the plane than the flatter 13deg of the maxum.. and mine will cruise happily at 18-22 kts and flat out is up at the 28kts mark – not that we can ever use that here in Perth due to the seas.. It pops up on the plan pretty easily too.. Props wise I have 20×21 4 blade mikado props so certainly nothing big props wise.

Steve

Carmen L Spagnolo
    Participant

Thanks for the replies gentleman…. I kinda figured it would be expensive. I will keep looking… I had a 2003 Sea Ray 320 Sundancer, but sold it when I moved from NJ to NC. I miss boating, and want back in… This time I’d like diesel, but choices are slim in either my price range or boat size. I never considered that 4100 SCB, but when I saw the pictures I wanted to see it, and 3 days before my trip up to NJ, it went under contract …. oh well…

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

Having re-powered two boats with three of Seaboard Marine new Recon 6BTA 370, I agree with Rob on this one.
    You’ll be completely upside down on resale of any boat you repower that you paid market price for to begin with unless you buy a beater boat that needs re-powering.

A pr of QSB 5.9 480s will run you $65,000-$70,00 just to purchase….maybe a little less for a pr of 6CTA 450s.

You’d spend and additional $20,000 easily to have the work done along with all the upgrades required for the extra hp like new prop shafts…maybe a new gear for each engine if gear reduction changes.

The QSB 5.9 is a bit wider and taller than a 6BTA 5.9 330/370…maybe an inch of so. It would NOT be plug and play on an engine swap.

Much easier on the wallet to buy a clean running boat that has a pr. of decent engines that will get you your 22 knots.

Just my opinion.

Bill D

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

It’s never easier on the wallet to repower, best bet is to spend more and just get the boat/engine package that suits your needs.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.