• Creator
    Topic

Jack Wallace
    Participant

I bought my 36′ Norstar Flybridge new in 2008. It had twin QSB 5.9 440s. When they first put it in the water, Cummins came out to test the engine systems. After testing, the Cummins rep had the boat manufacturer pull the boat out and remove the starboard engine’s wedge-shaped strainer (raw water intake cover) from the outside of the hull. Everything has worked fine for 900+ hours on the engines and I have had just a little more seaweed in the starboard raw water strainer. I just hauled the boat to have the zincs replaced and to inspect the running gear and found that the port side cover had fallen off. Apparently it had been screwed to the hull but not bonded and the bronze screws had corroded away. I am wondering whether I should install new covers (and add a through hull bronze bolt to bond to) and if there are covers that add less resistance to the flow of raw water.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Thanks, Rob, I never thought about electrolysis affecting the scoop, but mine recently fell off when underway.
    I guess the SS screws let go. Theyā€™ll be silicone bronze next time!
    Also as a side effect, the water flow alarm now occasionally chirps after hitting a large swell, irritating at times but it is reassuring to know that it is working.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

So you have rectangular scoop strainers under the hull and some form of a basket style strainer in the engine room. Depending on your waters you could get away with one or the other rather than both. On my prior boat I had a basket strainer and no scoop strainer. On this boat scoop strainers and no basket strainers. It sounds like you are fine with just the baskets but the scoops would add another layer of protection if you run through a heavy patch of weed or debris, etc. Why did the Cummins tech remove one and not the other?
    If you’re concerned about the flow Buck offers the positive flow scoop strainer screens where the holes are drilled at a 45. Are your scoop strainers fitted with a zinc? You can drill, tap and add a zinc if needed. Here’s one I did recently for an air cond. strainer.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.