• Creator
    Topic

Will
    Participant
    Engines: QSM11

What seals the slip joint in the QSM11 Dry Exhaust system, it looks like in the Cummins manual on quickserve they show some type of insert/seal, but its no where to be found in the parts diagrams? Is it sealed immediately when the manifold is installed, or does it have to run a few hours and blow a little soot to seal up? Can you use something like Fuchs 762 / Silkalene on the slip joint?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Nothing new——————-If you wanted to spend a month+ of time at a shop like mine, full time with nothing else to do and you had your boat “local” and a spare $10-20K to do the R&D needed,Ā  call me..

Tony

Gregory
    Participant

any update on conversion manifold

TonyĀ 

I don’t see anything on the site about the conversion manifold.Ā  Any update.? been a whileĀ 

<br />Greg

Tony Athens

Steve,

Initial testing done on a vessel in Alabama failed.. ……………….Back to BETA II with no projected time line as to when….

Tony

Steve
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Shenanigans
    Engines: 6CTA-8.3M (Diamond 450)

Is there an update on this modification? Has the beta testing been completed and is this a real problem now? Is it something that can be added to existing engines, or is it only available on new installs?

Tony Athens

Will,

We are still in the “beta phase” with the wet manifold conversion.. The manifold will be coolant cooled but you will shave have the same turbo..HP output of the engine WILL NOT be affected……Just need solid time more time.

Tony

Will
    Participant
    Engines: QSM11

OK thanks. I agree with your assessment of the design, just wondering how long might one see “carbon” after installing the manifolds.

I’m very interested in the wet manifold conversion, wish it was 6 months ago. I think I watched a video on your site on this.

Will they still make the horsepower in the ranges they do now? I think mine are rated at 660hp, or so says the computer. I generally don’t need much speed, but it’s nice to be able to scoot when those pop-up storms hit in the gulf in the summer.

Tony Athens

QSM11 Dry Maniifold Slip Joint

Cummins does not recommend any type of sealant that I have ever seen–They expect the “close fit when new, to seal up with “carbon”–Talk about a joke.. As to the sealants you mentioned– they are both good, but with they work on a “bad design”? Don’t know..

FYI–We are about 3-4 months away for a “WET Manifold” conversion for this engine.. In testing now..

Tony

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.