• Creator
    Topic

Larry Backman
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Skipjack
    Engines: QSM 670

I’m no Tony but I’ve owned and run marine diesels for 20 years and this is a first.

REcon QSM 11-670 with 350 hours.

Steamed out 2 hrs at 1850, normal burn and temps. I then trolled all day at 800 RPM. At 2 Pm after about 8 hrs of trolling I started to power up as I always do, 800-1000 or so, pause, 1000-1200, pause, then up to plane at 1850.

As I passed 1100 RPM the boat shuddered as if the prop was bound up, I backed off, looked and Listened for a line on the prop then slowly powered up again. At 1150 same shudder and some brown smoke out the exhaust. I went through 1200 and right up to 1850, normal temps, load, etc but I had about 30 seconds of brown smoke which cleared. The engine ran normally for the 2 hour run home.

Mile from the harbor I backed off to issue and did 2 more power ups with no shudder or smoke.

Ideas on what this could be and what to monitor? STuck injector or turbo come to my mind.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Larry Backman
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Skipjack
    Engines: QSM 670

Hopefully y our right

Took a boatride today to the swimming hole and poured up and down a dozen times with no issue, nothing was on the gear, it was allckean and no signs of prop or rudder strike. Watch and wait !

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Something stuck on the running gear would be my vote..

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.