• Creator
    Topic

Bill Sherburne
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Robin Lyn
    Engines: Qsl9

Qsl9 fault code 415. Low oil pressure. Changed oil and filter. Oil pressure reads 69.6 then drops to 0.0 , alarm triggers again.
    Last time this happened ECM was replaced as fix after confirming engine had pressure with manual guage. Same numbers as previously. Is there a reset in smart craft menu that will clear oil pressure so it will read correctly? Factory reset?
    Thank you

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Replaced air intake manifold sensor (boost pressure). No change. One other qsl9 in Maine with same fault code was fixed by replacing it so figured it was worth trying.

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Dash. Coolant temp so I can see it when vessel view display is filled with alarm screen. Thank you

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Coolant Temp?

Where you you want the actual gauge to be?–Dash, on the engine, in the engine room but not on the engine?

Tony

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Where is the best place to install a temperature sender for mechanical temp gauge?

Tony Athens

Now you know exactly why we call it SMARTCRAP..

Tony

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Oil pressure normal all day on mechanical gauge.

Every time rpm reaches 1100 pressure drops to 0.0 and sets off alarm on vessel view.
    Rpm over 1100 pressure reads 69.6. Run long enough between traps at 69.6 and fault clears itself displays OK. Slow down to pick up next buoy and alarm goes off again.

Oh how I love my Smartcrap electronics

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Got longer hose as you suggested Tony. Took out another plug, installed hose there. Left sender in. Is there a way I can splice wires together on sender unit plug so ECM will read 69.6 continuously so alarm won’t be triggered?

Tony Athens

Get yourself a liquid filled high quality 0-100 or 0-200 PSI gauge on the engine and use a 10ft to ??ft hose — #4 hyd quaility hose using JIC #4 fitting and put it in a place that can be monitoried for a few days during all operational modes.. ..

Then and only then will you know what is really going on.. With Mercury “SMARTCRAP” , you really have no clue what may be really happening & you are just chasing your tail..

Tony

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Thank you. I’ll find out about limp mode tomorrow. Going to try hauling with mechanical gauge

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Sending unit

Has the sending unit been replaced or swapped during the troubleshooting process? The VesselView only displays what the engine ECM tells it to so I doubt a factory reset will provide any value.

EDIT: OK on the sending unit… make sure the ground to sender is 100% solid. Also, make sure that the harness wiring is 100% as well. Everything I see is pointing to a potential physical issue… most likely on the GROUND side of things.

You can also inspect the wires going into the ECM to make sure everything is OK. See attached image for the pin locations.

Does the engine go into LIMP MODE after the fault presents itself?

I have also attached the Cummins troubleshooting guide for that fault for your review…

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Oil pressure verified by mechanical gauge. New pressure sensor. No change

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

If it were me first thing I would do is verify oil pressure with a mechanical guage again.

If that’s good then I would verify all harness wiring and then change the pressure sensor with new. They are reasonably priced.

Phil

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

6500 hours when ECM was replaced last time this happened. 3600 hours now

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.