• Creator
    Topic

Luke Nelson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Southern Image
    Engines: QSC 8.3 540hp

So what would be peoples thoughts?  The QSC’s have 4000 hours and the C9’s have 2000 hours. It would be  prop application for around 700 hours a year, both would be propped down to 500hp  and driven for the best part at around 1800  rpm. Discounting the general condition  of the engines would one be seen as the better choice?

I had a water ingress incident and have 2 wet 3208’s and it seems the right time to upgrade. I understand I need props, shafts, exhaust mods ect.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bryan
    Participant

<p>Well the early pumps had issues that was recognized by caterpillar in a service letter. I’ve seen heui pumps last for upwards of 6000 hours and others 1500 hours was all the time they lasted this is where strict oil changes and regular maintenance ( anodes etc.) come into play, most times the pump can not make full pressure and the engine runs poorly at higher rpm. The downfall is when the pump fails and contaminates the oil rail and takes out the injectors. As far as the operating rpm I had one that was run at 1400 rpm for extended periods of time, now was it a poorly designed wet exhaust system……probably. Long story short the exhaust temp spiked and melted the valve train.  </p>

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks for the input Bryan. I have had varying reports and some say they are not to bad like yourself and others say turn and run. What is the ball park life of the Heui pump before it fails, would you expect to change it every 2-3000 hrs or sooner. Can I ask the reason for not running around 14-1500rpm, is it something to do with the max torque being around 1700rpm?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

C-9

Bryan,

You all ready told me more about the C-9 than I knew.. It’s good to have some solid long term CAT experience watching over our site..

Appreciate the input & welcome to the team..

Tony

Bryan
    Participant

I know i’m late to the party on this one but here is my take
    I have extensive experience with the c-9 and they are a good marine engine but do have there downfalls. It likes to be maintained, extended oil changes and filter replacement is asking for trouble, the Heui fuel system does not like dirty oil/fuel. They also don’t like being babied 1400-1500 rpm for extended periods definitely do the engine no favors. With the heui fuel system they have to have a good set of batteries all the time or staring will be an issue, they crank slightly longer to build oil pressure in the pump.
    hope this helps love the site

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks Tony I will drop you an email.

Yes the short time Cat kept the C9 is in the back of my mind.

Tony Athens

Controls for the QSC/gear– you can set it up either way–all cables, all wires or mix & match.

You do know that the C-9 came and went is a very short time, just like just about all of the under 14L engines CAT has made in the last 20 years/since the 3208? The QSC is still in HIGH production. Certainly makes me wonder..

Tony

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks Tony,

Just had a look as the QSC’s. Parts wise there is not much in it Cat may be a better but both have a major state outlet within a hours drive.

The QSC have electronic controls  so I would have to upgrade a the existing box to electronic or down grade the engine to cables?

QSC 46595316

C9 X9Y00167

Regards Luke

Tony Athens

Why not go about it this way………………

Support for the product. See how easy it is to buy and genuine oil filter, a seawater pump, an impeller, an injector, an alternator,  or maybe even a aftercooler or heat exchanger.

Then compare not only the time it takes to find someone that can help, get the parts and the cost..

Get the engine serial number from each engine so the test is fair..

Tony

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.