• Creator
    Topic

john
    Participant

The older qsb with a v belt is so simple and works great for tensioning. The flat serpentine belt is a just a crazy design. Anyone have tips to pit it on. I just did two and replaced a pump to a seaboard pump. I think the jabsco pump was easier than the seaboard pump. Had to loosen everything then pry the belt over. Seems to tight to me. The jabsco pump I put one bolt in and levered the pulley into place with a pry bar. Reguardless I think itā€™s a poor design

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

If you had a Sherwood QSB pump side but side with the SMX QSB pump and took them apart, with your experience, you immediately see why “Sherwood” left a lot of room for improvement………..
    Actually, you might be impressed ..

Tony

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

I have changed a lot of pump in 50 years. The v pulley QSB is about as easy as it gets. I suspect the problems with the Sherwood pumps came from lack of maintenance. They can be difficult to rebuild and I bet most owners just kept putting in impeller instead of a full rebuild. By design there is a lot of stress on the bearings. Iā€™m sure itā€™s can lead to mechanical seal failure quickly. I can see not getting high hours out of them. I just did one of mine and it took an hour with the use of pullers and shop press. Itā€™s not a back yard repair.

Tony Athens

Is the “stretchy belt” super high tech, or just a proprietary part “rip off”‘?….

I say the latter, so Ii am working on it………..

Tony

David R Flamer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tax Break
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

I have to "old" style 3-pulley system

No, not the best, but it is pretty straightforward to R&R the single raw water pump belt. Oh the whole, the belts for the early design QSB 5.9 are pretty inexpensive. I always have 2-3 sets just in case.

28Cuttyhunk
    Participant
    Engines: 6BT-220 QSB-5.9

Stretchy Belt

Its more difficult to get the old one off, maybe 2 minutes. You can roll a new one on in 60 seconds. Only thing not to like is the $160 price tag of the belt.

john
    Participant

Yes it is the first time dealing with the as you say streachy belt. Not to streachy to me. I have three sets of qsbs that I work on. This is the first with that belt setup. I guess I’ll take this over the old b series gear driven pumps so its quite a bit if improvement. I will make a long pry bar into a spoon to get them on. I think that will help.

Tony Athens

John,

My guess is this is the first time you dealt with the “stretchy belt” and you went thru a frustrating “learning curve”..

Yes, it can be tricky., but once your “learn” how to deal with it, it is easier & way faster than the v-belt and really requires zero maintenance..

I am not saying I like it, but it seems to be a reliable system.

Tony

john
    Participant

Yes I was getting things confused between sherwood and jabsco. To many pumps to remember. You do have to tension the v belts some but installing them in a engine room is much easier. I know the extra parts are a liability somewhat. I happened to work on both designs yesterday. Tensioned belts on a v belt and installed one of your pumps on the blizzard . Changed the flat water pump belts also. It is a very difficult job in a tight area like that. I know you don’t do it that often but design wise seem poor to me. Tension on that belt seems to much but it seems to work.

Tony Athens

John,

They never was a “Jabsco pump” on a QSB.. Not sure where you came up with that…How ever, Cummins did redesign the Sherwood pump drive system a few years after it came out..

Early designs were the 3-pulley v-belt system and then Cummins redesigned to to what we call a “stretchy belt system ( the small serpentine bet that needs to to “stretched” over the pulley when you do not understand how it’s done.. The 3-pulley drive did have some issues and I believe was one of the reasons for the redesign ( besides simplicity and cost). Between you and me, I am not a fan of either, but will say that the later design has be reliable

As to our pump, just a vastly improved version of the Sherwood design, nothing else– Either “pulley system” fits it, as that is a Cummins thing, not mine..

Tony

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.