• Creator
    Topic

roborr24
    Participant

Just finished a wave of spring maintenance on my QSB 5.9 380’s.

After running her home from the boatyard this week I noticed a clicking/knocking noise while at the dock. I cannot isolate where it is coming from exactly other than it is on the front of the engines somewhere near the belts/alternator/fuel pump/water pump.

I recently replaced the water pumps with SMX pumps, and I originally thought it was coming from the tensioner for the water pump V-belt because it has some play in it. I took that belt off and had someone fire the engine so I could determine if it was coming from that or the water pump system. Noise still there.

I took a video that clearly depicts the sound. Wasn’t able to upload the video here, so I put it on youtube and attached the link. You can hear the clanking above the engine noise. https://youtu.be/0khGHfBvguw

I appreciate feedback from anyone who has experienced this noise/issue. Serpentine belt tensioner? Alternator? Fuel Pump? Something in the drive?

Thanks,

Rob

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

raymond gonzalez
    Participant
    Vessel Name: "The Office"
    Engines: cummins qsb 5.9 425 2007 8732

can you post some pics of the part you changed so we know what it looks like thks

Hans Erik Lie
    Participant
    Engines: 5,9 425hp

Hi Rob!

Thanks for sharing this experience. I have the same noise on my 425 hp now, at 2200 running hrs. Did you replace complete unit, or bearing in tensioner?
    Thanks
    Hans

roborr24
    Participant

Just to report back on this. Changed the tensioner and that was the problem. New tensioner, no noise.

Thanks for the input.

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Did you take off both belts?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Alternator or fan hub bearing?
    Time for the giant screwdriver on the ear trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U927cYhQXB4

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Almost sounds like belt chirp but I’ll let the pros chime in.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.